New pond in Ohio

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I started my pond on labor day 2016. Around 850 gallon. I think. Started with one diy waterfall filter full of lava rock and watercress on top. And a UV clarifyer.
Seven feeder goldfish, two pots of yellow flag iris, one pot of dwarf cattails and one chunk of hornwart.
Everything survived the winter with 4 inches of ice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi patfish. It sounds very nice. Welcome to the forum. My pond is all goldfish too. Post some pictures when you can!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
15e3a85db23c7072eaaba533acb.gif

Good to have you with us! Yes, we love to see pictures.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and that looks bigger than you say and love it .Retaining wall block is great

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This spring I added two more lava rock filters and one of them has the watercress in it on the bottom of the pond. Fish love that one.
Also added a pleco named Hoover and seven trapdoor snails and my fish count is up to 14.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome and that looks bigger than you say and love it .Retaining wall block is great
The widest part is 6 ft and longest is 10 ft and deepest is 3 ft

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember fish will have babies and plants in filters always do a better job at cleaning the pond water .My koi ate my trapdoor snails .Watercress is great in salads and is supposed to help with your health an helps keep cancer at bay

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
remember fish will have babies and plants in filters always do a better job at cleaning the pond water .My koi ate my trapdoor snails .Watercress is great in salads and is supposed to help with your health an helps keep cancer at bay
I told myself to stop getting fish...about 4 fish ago.
The watercress roots like crazy, I bought a handful in produce dept for $1.50 I now have 2 large filters full of it. One under the water. I was told you can eat it if you are willing to drink the water it is grown in... I'll stick with doughnuts.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am a vegetarian and water from my filter pads I put in my veggie gardens and the love it .Sad to say I have to buy more since I over ate my watercress and did not leave enough leaves for it to survive . Some Hydroponics uses fish ponds to feed the veggies they grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice pond. You may want to cool it on buying more fish and leave some room for babies. My goldfish pond went from 8 fish to over 50 in 5 years and I didn't buy a single one! Here is a picture of some of them before I moved and expanded my pond. Only two of the fish in the picture were bought in a store. The rest just showed up!

20160814_180219.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question