New pond in south florida

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Im new here to the pond thing. I have a large irregular shaped pond that I just set up and i have a rather difficult dilemma. The guy who built my pond set it up so there is continuos fresh well water being pumped from the ground into the pond, down a water fall and it drains back into the ground via gravity down another larger well. While this system works fine im not sure if its the best way to maintain this pond. I re-worked the plumbing so i can recirculate 0-100% of the water form the pond through the pump. Would it be better to recirculate the water and treat it or use fresh well water only. I am currently recirculating about 50% of the water while the other 50% is fresh from a deep well. There is an impressive amount of algae growth that forms a 2 inch or so carpet on the bottom and sides of the ponds. It seems to be a mixture of a green algae, and a brown algae that forms long strands and ends up floating at the top. Will this eventually stop? Or should i recirculate 100% of the water, have a closed circuit pond, and treat it with algicides, filtration and uv filters. I would appreciate any suggestions! I have included a link to all my pics:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/22058950

password: pilot327

Cheers!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i looked at your pix without reading your whole post was gonna ask if that was oxygenators or sting algea... you have no filtration at all? drag a stiff push broom(clean) around in there and you can get most of that out . or some big koi and goldies and dont feed em for the whole season,(or ever) they'll eat it. LOL ive never seen string algea like that... that is one heck of a starter pond!!! any ways you need to filter and circulate the entire pond, and by the looks of it you need one heck of a filter. any idea of the ponds capacity?

Reaction score
I dont have any filters or anything of that nature connected right now. Its just a pump. The pond i estimate to be about 1500 gallons. Im thinking of draining the entire pond (which i can do very easily with my plumbing retrofits) pressure cleaning the entire thing to get all the algae out and refilling it. I just think the algae will grow back again. I think recirculation, filtration might be my only ( and really expensive) option to keep the algae under control.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The pond looks real good ...I would think it was a little more than 1500 gal

Ask a Question