New pond in sunny Arizona.....Suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi fellow ponders, my name is Frank and I am totally new to ponds and getting ready to build my first one ever. I plan on building about a 10' x 15' pond is the preliminary size for right now. Not sure if I should make it smaller being its my first time. I have cleared the area of loose rocks and outlined the pond-to-be with a garden hose to get an idea if I need to cut it down in size/change the shape of it entirely etc. Any and all advice, help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated since this is my first pond and I want to make it an enjoyable one with your guys knowledge and experiences. I alo intend on making a 3'-4' waterfall in the background of the pond. What do you guys think by looking at the pics? Let me know. Thanks,

y2kdejesus

Attachments

• forum1.jpg
    forum1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 339
  • forum3.jpg
    forum3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 394
  • forum2.jpg
    forum2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 406
Reaction score
When I saw the title I immediately answered, "Plants!" :bowdown:

Floating and anchored ones with a lot of surface area that will shade your water or you'll likely end up with a thick green mess (unless you're constantly dropping chemicals into your water, and who wants that?).

As far starting smaller, I think (maybe) I speak for most (from what I've learned) on this forum when I say: If you build it smaller, you'll only wish you'd built it bigger.:icon_mrgreen:

Good luck! It will make a beautiful addition!

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at the pics:

1) How many hours of sun vs. shade will it get there?

2) You may need to move it out a few feet to make room for a 4 foot waterfall!

3) You might think of using wall fountains (they hang on the wall and make it look like water is spitting out decorative holes in the wall!)

4) Put in a main drain! You will NOT regret it!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Put in a main drain! You will NOT regret it!

He has no downhill place for it to drain, which means he has to have a very expensive pump for it to work.

When it gets plugged, you have to drain the pond to snake it out or put on your scuba gear.

Submersible pumps are better since they are very easily removed for cleaning. Bottom drains and skimmers are for swimming pools not ponds.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
thats weird... i just read a lengthy article about why this pond builder wont use liners..his biggest reason was he was a firm beleiver in bottom drains,and he couldnt use them with liners..because they without fail, leaked within a couple years. he would only install them if the homeowner signed off on the labor guarentee. but gladly came back to replace or repair them...for a nice fee!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum...
Even if it is your first pond ....Make it bigger than you want

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pond builders are like mechanics, they will try to get you to buy anything they can sell you.
The best advice is keep it simple... When properly set up and with regular maintenance, simple ponds are quite nice.

Reaction score
Kelli,

I been thinking the same thing....plants, plants,plants. With the sun always beaming here in Arizona once I get the pond dug I will be making ledges at different heights and widths to accomodate for plant life like water hyacinths, water lillies, anacharis etc. I started to cut down the size of the pond but I wasnt pleased so I went to my original size of about 11' x 15'. Youre right it will make a nice addition back there besides having dirt, rocks and clay soil for the time being until I can get some landscaping in. Thanks

Reaction score
Robyn,

Hey I used to live in Alexandria & Lorton VA. Back to ponds...living in Arizona the pond gets ALOT of sun about 6-8 hours of full sun. I will have to have alot of plant life and lillies to shade the pond. In the late afternoon between 4-5 pm is when it gets shade back there. I am hoping that once my Jacaranda and Ficus trees grow alittle it will cast some shadow on the pond. I have the pond moved out from the wall about 4-5feet at the corner and 3 feet on the sides. I'm hoping thats enough space for the waterfall, plants, landscaping etc. Wall fountains was an option but then I would have to move the pond closer to the common brick wall fence and I dont want to do that. I been debating between a bottom drain or not. Like everything else it has it pros & cons. What purpose does it have other than to do a full water drain. I would like to have one in just in case but I'm hesitant on cutting the liner to put one in. What to do? I am going to take advantage of last nights Monsoon rain while the ground is still soft. Thanks again.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no bottom drain..no bottom drain..no bottom drain!! in liner ponds they get leaks real easy! if they clog...go diving! if you can even clear it out... use a good quality submersable pump(pond not sump) and a prefilter or pump cage to keep it from clogging if you like.. if anything happens to it performance pull it up clean it, replace it adjust it or whatever and toss it back in.. and dont go over board on the planter shelves it gives preditors something to wade into the pond on!! build a good biofilter. there are building instructions for 2 here on this site... a 70 gallon skippy in diy. and a 55 gallon barrel filter in equipment. these are the same basic filters, but in different containers. you do not have to use these containers a good sturdy (plastic) outdoor trash can will suffice. like a 44 gallon BRUTE available at Lowes or Home Depot.

Reaction score
Koiguy,

Well thanks alot for clarifying the bottom drain question. No drain it is! Also for the info on the submersible pump, plant shelves, and the bio filter. Way to get me answers on multi issues at once. Thanks again.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
To each their own. I am loving my bottom drains (I have 2 in my pond). Been there for 11 years and never a leak or clog so far. Perhaps because they are used in tandem with a powerful skimmer?

Submersibles still mean you need to vacuum more often and higher nitrates due to waste settling and being in the pond and decaying for longer than if it is filtered out.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
with the size of that pond you may never know it had a leak unless you drained it and watched your liner rise. you could have 100s of gals under the liner and not know it. youve had the pond a very short time, how could you know its never leaked or clogged? and is your pond a linered pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
-didnt mean that to sound rude.. there is just problems associated with liner ponds and bottom drains..and they just dont perform that well unless your pond is deep and have a concave bottom.. then you have to use an external pump..cost more to run and can be noisey.under pond plumbing breaks for any reason...what then? get a submersable pump.. hose.. filter...easy to do ..easy to fix.. efficient...cost effective!!!!!!!!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think we have someone here from Koiphen :pooh: that has been tainted by them. They are arrogant, aristrocratic and think they know it all. The very reason I left there a long time ago. I don't miss the elite purists who seem to have an endless budget and criticizes everyone who does it differently.
Some of us here have over 40 years experience and have been doing ponding on a shoestring for years. We have clear ponds, healthy Koi and great yields of Fry without all the fancy drains, that do clog with leaves, and skimmers that kill more fish than predators.

Ask a Question