New pond in sunny Arizona.....Suggestions?

Reaction score
having kept aquariums (big ones 220G), I never understood why so many people take a water tight glass box and drill a hole under the water line for a sump, then complain about how to deal with leaks, cracks in glass, power failure issues, cut off switches flow rates etc...

I'm new to ponds but why put a hole below the water line in an already water tight liner or cement pond. It's just asking for problems with far more money available to spend elsewhere on the pond.

my 2 cents

Reaction score
Alright folks.....cmon now we are all here to 1. Learn 2. Give advice, 3. Hear what people have to say and take it for what its worth. Lets be nice to each other and lets get along okay. I still want to learn and value all you guys experiences. Thanks again.

y2kdejesus

Reaction score
i would say the bigger the better.....more water volume gives you more room for error in water quality.....same applies to regular fish aquariums. smaller tanks are actually harder to take care of because the water perameters can fluctuate so quickly, i know the same applies for ponds.

Reaction score
I don't have a bottom drain in my pond. Some people swear by them. My fear would be some type of failure in the system (ie. leak or clog). Ponds are supposed be enjoyed not cause of hours of back breaking work. Wouldn't a sump type pump in the lowest spot in the pond have the same benefit as a bottom drain?
FYI all my plumbing and electrical for the pond has been run through buried flexible 4" pipe. This way if there is a problem with them I can pull them out of pipe and snake a new one through....no digging involved.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
MassKoi said:
I don't have a bottom drain in my pond. Some people swear by them. My fear would be some type of failure in the system (ie. leak or clog). Ponds are supposed be enjoyed not cause of hours of back breaking work. Wouldn't a sump type pump in the lowest spot in the pond have the same benefit as a bottom drain?
FYI all my plumbing and electrical for the pond has been run through buried flexible 4" pipe. This way if there is a problem with them I can pull them out of pipe and snake a new one through....no digging involved.

Excellant comments and a great idea!:goldfish:

Reaction score
r rugger,

I decided to stay with the original size of 10' W x 15' L with 3' waterfall. I agree with you to the fullest. Why go small and then regret not having it made bigger from the start. I figure at this size pond with depths starting out from 1' to 3' at its deepest I'm probably going to be pushing about 2200 gal of water volume if my math is correct. I have already started the excavation and will send pics when I take a break. Thanks for the encouragement to stay big.

y2kdejesus

Reaction score
yeah i say stay with the original plan.....you were talking about downsizing and im glad to see that you are not

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I dont have any bottom drains either,,, but with good water flow you can make all of the waste end up were you want it, to be pumped out to the filters...

If i were going to make a 8 to 10 ft deep concreet pond i would put in some 4" bottom drains, with the bottom of the pond sloped to the drains...

If the drains are not done right ,,,it could very easy become a problem.
any hole in are rubber linners under the water could fail , most likely at the worst posible time

If you have a bottom drain i am not going to knock it,,,
But there are other ways to have a clean pond , with out the risk and the expense

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If the bottom drain leaks or even if you think it is leaking, you have to drain the pond, find homes for your fish, then undo the drain and re-attach it just to make sure it is no longer leaking. Then you have to hope that after it is re-filled it doesn't leak.
Donald Trump would have no problem with this, I would.
I will never have a bottom drain.............................
Maybe if I win the Lottery I might change my mind.

Reaction score
Question kind of piggy-backed onto y2kdejesus' question (sorry to hog your thread... heh)

But Dr C said:

I dont have any bottom drains either,,, but with good water flow you can make all of the waste end up were you want it, to be pumped out to the filters...

I think I may have asked this in another post, but it likely got lost in my 40 OTHER questions in that post, so:

Someone at a pond shop told me to put my pump on a shelf about a foot below water level./U]. Not a good idea? Sure it reduces head height a teeny bit (2 ft deep total) but wouldn't it be better on the (very) pond floor so it sucks up whatever it needs to suck up??

Anyone know of any real benefit to putting your pump above (pond) ground level? Is there such a think as putting it on a shelf and running a hose off & down to the ground floor?

(i certainly use these ( ) a lot, don't i?)
:)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I run mine on the bottom durring the warm months,when you have the most waste..
and move it up durring the winter..
you do run the risk of pumping the pond out when it is on the bottom,,,
that reminds me that i need to get a float switch for that pump

Ask a Question