New pond keeper

Reaction score
Just wondering what type of plants are good for a beginner. I have a shelf in which I could place a potted plant, any suggestions? Also, I don't have a substrate in the bottom except for some river rocks, will pond lillies grow?

Reaction score
hardy lillies just float. very easy to grow.

Cattail is fun. Rush is very hardy, but extremely invasive, so you have to keep it in check. Iris is good, elephant ears.

You can get these at home depot and lowes this time of year.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
DrummerDude,

KoiKeeper is right about water lilies. Continue to read and browes through this forum for information about hardy lilies and other plants. You can't go wrong if you keep reading and asking questions. Everyone here has given me some outstanding answers to my questions as well as some good ideas for my pond.

Happy ponding,

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Just buy what you like ..talk to someone at the pond store locally for what works best in your area...theyre all pretty easy to care for.

Reaction score
Hello to all
I am new here & I know that this not the porper thread But I was wander if anyone here Knows if a Cedar Stump would harm your koi fish if the cedar oil from the stump would harm them as i found the most beautiful shaped stump in the mountain as i was hunting this winter & we loaded it up but was afraid to put it into my pond untill i ask
Tks coolwind

Reaction score
You should put your stump outside of the pond as a lovely decoration, and not inside. Firstly, the contact with water will just break it down over time and make a mess in the pond. It will likely tinge your water a tea color and who knows what critters live inside the stump. Plus, it will give the fish something to bump into should they get frightened.

Make it a cool design piece at the pond's side.

lilpondgirl

lilpondgirl
Reaction score
Hello,
I am fairly new to the thread. Me and my husband have been working on our pond for over one year now. We just added fish and water plants this year ~ 1 month ago. My question is how fast will the water lettuce and hyacinth grow? The pond store stated that within a month the pond would be covered and by two months we would be pulling some out. Well they are growing but very slowly only shooting out 1-2 sprouts from the side. Our pond is on the larger side for an ornamental fish pond measures 20x25 irregular form. We do have a water fall and skippy biofilter, water is pretty clear, fish seem happy but we would like more water coverage. Can you put fertilizer in the pond to make them grow faster if so what kind? Thanks for all your help.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
If you have the right amount of fish per gallon,you won't have to add any chemicals. The hyacinths will eventually have to be thinned out.

Happy ponding,

lilpondgirl

lilpondgirl
Reaction score
water hyacintha

My water hyacintha and water lettuce are still not "taking over" like I thought, they probably cover 1/8th of my pond. Not very impressed with them much. Is it possible the fish could be eating them? I know they did eat the parrot feather that we had in containers, stripped them clean. We do have some koi and goldfish, and I have read that koi can be aggressive eaters. Do you know of a way we can protect the plants that are buried at the bottom?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Re: water hyacintha

lilpondgirl said:
My water hyacintha and water lettuce are still not "taking over" like I thought, they probably cover 1/8th of my pond. Not very impressed with them much. Is it possible the fish could be eating them? I know they did eat the parrot feather that we had in containers, stripped them clean. We do have some koi and goldfish, and I have read that koi can be aggressive eaters. Do you know of a way we can protect the plants that are buried at the bottom?

I have used the bird netting that is sold at home depot and lowes around plants to keep the fish from nibbling.

They also sale stuff at pond stores to protect the plants, the bird netting cheaper.

Ask a Question