New pond liner and filter advice please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to you all.
I’ve recently moved house and have 2 Koi and 6 goldfish in a holding pool with my old green genie filter.
We have a digger in next weekend to dig a new pond.
It’s probably gonna be 4m x 3m and a metre deep one end stepping back to 200mm ish for wildlife to get in.
The pond will be up against my garage which has electrics.
Questions are what is the best way forward regards type of liner and underlay as I would like to have stones and pebbles on the liner rather than see black liner.
Also the filter system. Some say stay well clear or pressure filters and go filter box like Evolution etc.
So some of your best advice would be very much appreciated thank you!
Chris

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
PS
I’m new to the forum please be nice
Only nice people here!

The standard most used liner material you'll find is 45 mil EPDM with it's matching non-woven underlayment.
Some, who like stones in their pond, will add another layer of underlayment material on top of the liner to protect it from the stones. It also provides a great place for beneficial bacteria to colonize.

There's another liner material called HDRPE, which is much lighter in weight and costs less.
I got my last HDRPE liner online from American Talapia. A 20 ft X 15 ft piece was $140 (U.S.), with free shipping.

As far as filtration, I tried a lot of them over the years. Store bought, homemade, etc.
A lot of time and money wasted.
Then I was introduced to bog filtration by @addy1.
You'll find that a lot of us here only filter with an up-flow wetland bog. It cleans the water and provides a nice area full of plants. The big plus is that a bog is 99% maintenance free. No filter pads to clean. A huge plus!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only nice people here!

The standard most used liner material you'll find is 45 mil EPDM with it's matching non-woven underlayment.
Some, who like stones in their pond, will add another layer of underlayment material on top of the liner to protect it from the stones. It also provides a great place for beneficial bacteria to colonize.

There's another liner material called HDRPE, which is much lighter in weight and costs less.
I got my last HDRPE liner online from American Talapia. A 20 ft X 15 ft piece was $140 (U.S.), with free shipping.

As far as filtration, I tried a lot of them over the years. Store bought, homemade, etc.
You'll find that a lot of us here only filter with an up-flow wetland bog. It cleans the water and provides a nice area full of plants. The big plus is that a bog is 99% maintenance free. No filter pads to clean. A huge plus!
Great advice thank you.
Can you recommend places for info on bog filtering please and it’s design?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1623260237236.gif
@Magicno1
Lots of great info here from people who have done bogs. @addy1 has tons of info on a thread she started.
Here is the link: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
After you check out addy's bog showcase, check out my bog add-on thread...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only nice people here!

regards a bog and planting. Most plants listed in that thread seem to require non water logged ground. Do any of you have advice for planting in a bog please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
regards a bog and planting. Most plants listed in that thread seem to require non water logged ground. Do any of you have advice for planting in a bog please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Creeping Jenny, watercress, canna, arrow plant, yellow flag iris, Louisiana black gamecock iris, parrot's feather, penny wort, forget me nots,horsetail, papyrus, mini horsetail, hosta, impatiens, and monkey flower: think I got all of them (in my bog)!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
water willow, pickerel rush, lizard tail, obedient plant, marsh bentomy, mint, lirope

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’m new to the forum please be nice
Thats asking a lot
Most here have a bog filter or want one
EPDM rubber or
HPDRE i believe it is
I like 8 oz non woven needle punch geotextile under and over the liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting close to finishing my bog!!!!
There seems to be conflicts on types of pea gravel. Some good for fish some not. Any advice?
Also one or two people on other forums say steer clear of bog filters as they can clog up and become anaerobic.
Some have mentioned Anoxic filtration so anybody used this method?
I will still press forward with my bog tho!
Have any of you had trouble with clogging and ammonia levels? Also could you use a pre filter to remove some solids or will that render the bog useless?
Chris

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also one or two people on other forums say steer clear of bog filters as they can clog up and become anaerobic.
Mine has been running for 10 years, 2.5 feet deep turned off in the winter, about 5 months, it never stinks or become anaerobic, if it does without me knowing it has made no difference when I turn it on in the spring. It is just pea gravel and plants
Have any of you had trouble with clogging and ammonia levels? Also could you use a pre filter to remove some solids or will that render the bog useless?
No issues with clogging or ammonia levels. I draw the water about a foot off the bottom of the pond. I do have a leaf basket before the pump but never clean it all summer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine has been running for 10 years, 2.5 feet deep turned off in the winter, about 5 months, it never stinks or become anaerobic, if it does without me knowing it has made no difference when I turn it on in the spring. It is just pea gravel and plants

No issues with clogging or ammonia levels. I draw the water about a foot off the bottom of the pond. I do have a leaf basket before the pump but never clean it all summer.
Thank you.
Seems a lot of advice comes from people who have never had a bog so reading your thread and what you have just said makes me confident!
Why do you turn off in the winter?

Ask a Question