New pond near a pine tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my first post on here! I have just dug a 3x4 meter butyl lined pond for wildlife, no fish, hope to help the dragonflies, newts and encourage frogs. It has a deep section at 60cm with 3 ceramic pipes in, the rest is mostly 30cm and a few shallow areas. I have ordered some native plants in baskets and I am making a stone beach.
The pond is near a pine tree, when, as it is today, a NE wind blows, the pine needles blow into the pond. Will this be a problem? I have a net to scoop them up
Any advice would be greatly received in anticipation Thanks!
Tony

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My guess is that it's probably not so good unless you are able to net most of it out before it decays. Any natural material that decays in the water will affect water quality.
Try to scoop out as much as you can.

Question:
Do the pine needles float or sink on contact of the water?
If they float, perhaps a skimmer would help. They have retrofit skimmers that basically just float on the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Tony!
Enough in the pond might discolor the water somewhat. For sure they will decay if left there. But since there are no fish, a few won't hurt. It's nature. But if there are a many falling, continue to net them out and you should be fine. Again, welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My guess is that it's probably not so good unless you are able to net most of it out before it decays. Any natural material that decays in the water will affect water quality.
Try to scoop out as much as you can.

Question:
Do the pine needles float or sink on contact of the water?
If they float, perhaps a skimmer would help. They have retrofit skimmers that basically just float on the water.
most float, a few sink, thanks I'll look into skimmers

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1624726376837.gif
@TonyG44

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
if it matters, the pine needles will turn the water more acidic with time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cut it down ..... not a fan of pines between the sap the needles of soft a how often they snap in half

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My stream is under a pine tree and no issues with water quality. I do have to take the needles out of the stream and the skimmer usually takes the rest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
The bottom of my goldfish pond is littered with pine needles. I scoop them out as often as I can, but it is far from clean of needles. The fish take them into their hidy hole, and I can't get the net in there. Been that way for about 4 years now, no issues so far. I don't really like scooping out the muck, and pine needles, because I have to sift through it and throw back all the tadpoles, snails, and salamanders.

Ask a Question