New pond, new baby goldfish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My pond was filled on May 22, first fish (goldfish) added over a 3 week period starting on about June 15, and koi added July 2. I noticed the goldies spawning 2 weekends ago, and yesterday I saw 3 baby Shubunkins! I did notice that my only Shubunkin (what came with my aquarium, along with 4 other goldfish) was female, and the white Comet with red spot on head was chasing her. Babies are really pretty, about 1.5-2" long already! I had no idea they grew so fast. I've only seen 3, 2 of them hang out under the waterfall, the other by the lily planters. I suspect other eggs or fry were eaten, which is fine by me.
Shubunkin.jpg
This is what the Shubunkin looked like in February, although she doesn't show much of the black lately, she's still very pretty. I'm anxious to see what the babies look like when they grow. I'm sure they will change many times, all the more exciting!
I bought a planter of multiple pond plants, and therefore it came with no identification tags on what all the plants were. Hoping someone can help me identify them! The first picture below is the the plant I call a banana tree plant, but have no idea what it really is. Stems are thick on the plant and RED. Very striking.
Pond plant - banana type plant.JPG
The second picture is a flower shoot I just noticed today. Flowers look like they are just beginning to open, but it's more stem than flower, looks like. Purple flower, somewhat star shaped. The stem the flower buds are on is above the plant.
Pond banana type plant flowers.JPG
The third picture is of a hibiscus variety, or that's what the landscaper told me. She said it will bloom yet this summer. Looks more like a Japanese maple to me. :) Very vibrant red leaves and stems.
Pond hibiscus.JPG
So, if anyone can help me identify the plant I'm referring to as a "banana plant" I would be ever so grateful!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like red stemmed Thalia to me. Never had one before but looks quite pretty. Don't know what the 2nd one is and the 3rd is really nice looking and does look similar to a Japanese Maple.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The grass like plant with the white flower in your first picture is white star grass, bog plant. It needs to be brought in during the winter, more of a tropical. I have it and will bring it in and treat like a wet house plant until spring. Can't tell with that second picture, maybe another one when it is open and the whole plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks, ladies! Actually, the first plant picture I was asking about the large green leafed plant, but thanks Addy for identifying the white flowered grasslike stemmed plant, as I did not know what it was either! I think this whole pot is going to have to come in. Do you recommend that I bring it into the house, give it sunlight and warmth, or leave them in the garage, after they go dormant? At the nursery I was mainly asking about the tall plant (Thalia, if JW is correct) and he told me to leave it outside until it went dormant, then cut it down to about 6-8" and put it in the garage, so long as it doesn't freeze, until spring.
And, the second picture is the top of the large green leafy plant in the first picture! I should have taken it differently, so you would have seen the green leaf below the stem with the flowers! Very strange stem of flowers over that large leafed plant, I thought!
And, the third plant is supposedly a hibiscus, as 2 of the people there told me the same thing, including the owner, although it doesn't look anything like the regular hardy hibiscus around here. They both agreed that it would bloom, so I suspect then it will look more like a hibiscus when I get to see the flower. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Larkin would know what these plants are for sure as he has Thalia and different kinds of Hibiscus and he can tell you how to care for them exactly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I was going to post more plant pics here, but for some stupid reason I didn't put anything in the title to this post about identifying plants, so will start a new thread with the other pics.
I think I spotted 4 babies today. One is at least 2" long, the other 2 are about 1.5, and found a new littler one that is maybe 1". They are getting to be fun to try to spot! Staying around the pots, and under the floating plants so quite a chore to spot them, and then to see them long enough to identify them as different than what I have seen so far. One is red/orange and white, one is white splotchy with light orange and black spots, largest one is red and white with black tail, and there is a little one almost identical to that one, too! :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Babies galore! I have them all over the place, in my plant rings, in my plant roots everywhere in the pond. Geez if they all survive, I'm in big doo doo! I'll for sure have to build a huge gigantasaurus pond for them all or send them packing................maybe sneak them into addy's big pond some dark night :ideacyclops:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh you got some nice plants there and great you have babes also .I love the red stemmed one wonder if I can get it here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, I posted a new thread in Garden Pond Talk and called it something like: Can you help identify plant purchased without ID tags? We'll see what kind of response I get. JW thinks it's a Thalia. I had not seen this planter earlier this year, although they said it was there all summer. I guess I had not gone into that greenhouse! I had no idea they had multiple plantings already made up! I plan to divide it either this fall or in the spring. The owner said I could easily get 4-5 plants out of that one plant! He said to let it go dormant, then cut it off to about 8-10" and bring it out when the weather warms up. He would keep it in his greenhouse which never freezes, but gets down to the 30's! So, unless I'm told differently, I'll put it in the garage. HOWEVER, I think Addy mentioned bringing on of the plants into the house in a tray of water, and it sure would be pretty, if it would like the warmth of the house. We'll see. I really need to get that list going of what needs to go to the bottom, and what to the garage, and what can stay! :) I'll have lots of reading come fall otherwise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, JW, that will be a long trip for those babies all the way to Addy's pond. :) Sounds like Addy has a bunch herself this year! I'm thrilled if I have less than 10 that make it! I don't want to be overrun, and I can always advertise them and sell them, but for now they are my babies and I'm going to enjoy watching them grow!
Oh, and Sissy, if you can't find that plant, and I have success getting my to go dormant, maybe I could ship you one of the smaller portions of it for a start! If it can be left in the garage in shallow water, then it should ship pretty easily after it's been cut back! I'll try to remember when it comes that time. :) I just really loved the bright red stem and then lime green leaves. Really striking! Then they put the red stem/red leaf hibiscus in the same pot! Wow!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you put your plants in the garage remember to put them on styrofoam so the floor does not keep the roots to cold .I used to keep mine in the garage in NJ and used to wrap them in bubble wrap also to keep them warmer .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha, JW, that will be a long trip for those babies all the way to Addy's pond. :) Sounds like Addy has a bunch herself this year! I'm thrilled if I have less than 10 that make it! I don't want to be overrun, and I can always advertise them and sell them, but for now they are my babies and I'm going to enjoy watching them grow!
Oh, and Sissy, if you can't find that plant, and I have success getting my to go dormant, maybe I could ship you one of the smaller portions of it for a start! If it can be left in the garage in shallow water, then it should ship pretty easily after it's been cut back! I'll try to remember when it comes that time. :) I just really loved the bright red stem and then lime green leaves. Really striking! Then they put the red stem/red leaf hibiscus in the same pot! Wow!!!

The star grass should grow all winter, but not sure lol, in your house that is.

check the thread in the plant section I posted about overwintering your pond plants, might help you.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/7417-over-wintering-pond-plants-some-of-the-common-ones/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, I have your post about overwintering plants already marked for re-read and to make notes! I didn't say specifically, but that's what I was referring to. :) It's an awesome post, full of information. I just never took the time to write it down ... yet!
And, I can't believe you saw those white star flowers in the first pic I posted! Unbelievable, so that's why I posted them closer up. I just may have to put that whole pot in my house, at the back sliding glass door that faces east, and keep them inside all winter, instead of letting them all go dormant! I get that banana plant and hibiscus would do just fine inside, too.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, I have your post about overwintering plants already marked for re-read and to make notes! I didn't say specifically, but that's what I was referring to. :) It's an awesome post, full of information. I just never took the time to write it down ... yet!
And, I can't believe you saw those white star flowers in the first pic I posted! Unbelievable, so that's why I posted them closer up. I just may have to put that whole pot in my house, at the back sliding glass door that faces east, and keep them inside all winter, instead of letting them all go dormant! I get that banana plant and hibiscus would do just fine inside, too.

They probably will be fine in the house, give it a try. I will be bringing in the star grass and tropical lilies all else lives out doors lol.

Ask a Question