j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If the red stemmed plant is Thalia then it will produce seeds that you can share w/ sissy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the red stemmed plant is Thalia then it will produce seeds that you can share w/ sissy.

Well us too jw! it is one pretty plant, we could all start seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, didn't think about it growing from seeds. It has those flowers on it now, so will gather seeds when they are done. Need to go check and see if the flowers are open this morning! Much easier to start a plant from seeds. I suspect they would be easy to start indoors then, so I may try to start a few seeds and then have info as to how long they take, etc. :)

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm going to answer what I can here as I still haven't gotten to the other post yet. The big leaf is a thalia dealbata or also called red stem thalia. the seeds will fall as soon as they get dark in color so if you want to save some you'll need to watch and gather them. They fall off randomly. The seeds may or may not produce true red stems though. Mine produced about 50/50 red stem and regular gren stem variations. From my understanding from Adavius (Andy) is that they produce the red stem by dividing the plants, as the green stem is the wild form and won't get as big and the red stems will be green. Still look very similar and the blooms are the same except on the green stem the flower stalks are usually shorter.
As for the Hibiscus, I'm not sure what kind that actually is. Doing some looking it looks like this one. http://www.ezhealthydiet.com/edible-hibiscus.html I may be wrong but it's a newer type and I have heard that there are more being developed. I would say it's probably not that winter hardy and may need to be brought in from the cold. It will probably still die back even if wintered inside but the roots should come back in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks for the research, Fishin. It does look like that, but I guess I would think a plant that can thrive in the ground, would not thrive as well in the water, as this plant is submerged in the water, level with the top of the pot it is in. But, maybe that plant in the ground is kept moist, which I know lots of bog plants can be both gound or water plants, as long as you keep them moist if they are in the ground. I do plan to bring it in, along with the Thalia. I will try to gather seeds of the Thalia, and do some checking to see if it is easy to start from seed. If so, I will experiment with a few of them this winter, and if they grow, then I'll pass them on to whoever is interested, Sissy JW and Addy already on my list. :) That would be way cool to share seeds, and then see how they do in the different climates. The main plant of Thalia, I will likely let it die back, then cut it back to 8-10" as the landscaper suggested, and put the whole pot in a tray of water in my garage. We'll see how things go in the spring!
Been planting my waterfall area, and starting to enjoy how it looks much more as I removed a lot of the flat stones on the top edges, going to replace them with plants and maybe put small pieces around the plantings. Going to move some of that Creeping Jenny I got from you, JW, onto the top and see if I can get some of that started for next year! That will look awesome spreading along the edges of the waterfall. :) Back to planting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I got a really cute video of the baby turtle trying to eat all the food before it got to the skimmer, and to keep himself out of the skimmer was quite a challenge .... but not sure how to save it to UTube then put it on here. So, hopefully someone will direct me, but in the meantime, here's a picture of one of my baby Shubunkins. I know the picture is pretty grainy (I was zoomed in too far), but you can see it's orange and white, with black in the tail. This is the largest one I've seen almost daily since I noticed I had babies.
First picture of baby goldfish - Shubunkin!.JPG
There is another that looks like this one, only smaller, one that is orange and white, and one that is black. This largest one is starting to swim with the koi and goldies already.
Then, here's a picture of the baby turtle. If he continues to come to feeding time, he will be huge by the end of the growing season. I was trying to feed some freeze dried plankton, but the koi and goldfish weren't too sure they wanted "different". When I noticed it floating toward the skimmer, I also noticed the baby turtle hustling it that direction. The video is hilarious ... I'll post it as soon as I figure out how!
Baby turtle.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[quote name='CountryEscape' timestamp='1313722389' post='89235']
I got a really cute video of the baby turtle trying to eat all the food before it got to the skimmer, and to keep himself out of the skimmer was quite a challenge .... but not sure how to save it to UTube then put it on here.  So, hopefully someone will direct me, but in the meantime, here's a picture of one of my baby Shubunkins.  I know the picture is pretty grainy (I was zoomed in too far), but you can see it's orange and white, with black in the tail.  This is the largest one I've seen almost daily since I noticed I had babies.
[/quote]

Country, you need to create a account with utube, it is free, then there is a upload button.

Click the upload button, browse to the video and upload it.

After you do that post the link to your thread.

upload
Snap62.jpg

it will give you a link you can click to see your video once it is done

Snap63.jpg

copy and paste that link in your thread

Snap64.jpg

under your user name you can click videos and see your list of uploaded ones.

Snap65.jpg

Hope this helps you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great info, and OMG!!! The music that you put with the squirrel was fantastic! It's like I KNEW he was going to bite the dust before he did. :) I'll try the Utube thing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I need to try that video posting also. I have a utube account just never tried it. How do you get the music in the background?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I need to try that video posting also. I have a utube account just never tried it. How do you get the music in the background?

There is a button called audio swap, use that to put the music to your video. I messed up a few times lol, but finally got it working.

lol koi pond ponder........I knew I had seen it, just couldn't find it! your post

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hope you don't mind if I copied and pasted both of your instructions, koiguy and addy, so I can keep them handy for when I give it a go.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope you don't mind if I copied and pasted both of your instructions, koiguy and addy, so I can keep them handy for when I give it a go.

lol jw, anything in here you can cut and paste! glad we could help ya.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
This morning, while I was enjoying my pond life and coffee, and pulling off yellow or dead lily leaves/buds, I noticed more baby fish! These were only 1/2-3/4" long, so must be from another spawning than the other one! The larger babies are 3-4" long already, and one looks just like her mama!!! Several of the older babies are Comets, one looks like what I think is the dad, who is a Comet with big red spot on his head, as I saw him chasing the Shubunkin when she was spawning. Some are short tails. There is one black that I've seen, but now I saw a tiny black one, too. I realized, too, that my swishing my hand around the lilies made no difference to the babies. They still came to where I was. Just took maybe 1 minute for them show appear. Counted 3 tiny babies this morning. Easy to count them, as they are all different! Such fun!!! I think I've counted at least 6 different colored older babies, too.
Here's my question. I'm pretty sure the older ones are goldies, as I saw the Shubunkin spawning. And, I did see spawning again of goldies about 2 weeks ago. So, how do you tell if the babies are goldies or koi, assume you have to wait until they are maybe 3-4" long and the whiskers appear? Doesn't matter what they are. If they get to be too many, I'll have to try to net them, but for now it seems they all get to stay! I'm just so excited I have some long tails and most of them are tri-colored, my favorite! And, I must add, they are far prettier than the Shubies I've seen in the pet stores! Mine are blotches of color, rather than speckles, which is what the local stores have been getting in lately. :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Terrific Country and that's what I'm hoping for when my new little shubbies get old enough to breed. Wanting more color and less speckles. Wondering what a fancy smancy shubbie's qualities should be if someone in the know were to judge one?

Ask a Question