New pond, new water lillies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Just started up my pond and received 2 water lilies as a gift. For now I just dropped them into pond in the little net bags they came in with the string attached to a floating fake Lilly flower. With no fish yet and no fertilizer for the plants what should my next steps be?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If they were mine, I would put them in oil pans with plain kitty litter and a 1/4 cup of osmocote on the bottom of the pan (before you put the litter in)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I may be able to get that done before we hit the road for Callaway Gardens with our trailer. They should be OK on the bottom for a week, right?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I may be able to get that done before we hit the road for Callaway Gardens with our trailer. They should be OK on the bottom for a week, right?

Yes they could survive all summer, just won't grow as well. imho

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've had those and they did very well in their baggies. Producing lots of pads and flowers, and coming back the following season without issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I had a baggie one, years ago, it did horrible. But maybe they have improved them. Or I just had a bad one.
I think it may depend on how early in the season you get them from the store. I get 'em when they first put them out on the display, and look for cups that have some condensation, but aren't totally soaked. And usually when the display is still inside the store... Our nearest Lowes will put the display out in the garden center after the freezes, but if they move them to the baking sun then they usually get dried out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It has been years and years ago. I have a ton of lilies, no need to buy any now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve bought three like that. The first turned to mush in the bag of moss stuff, so I planted the second one correctly, it did great. Giving it another try, planted again, to see if it’ll work.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would also put pea gravel and a rock on top to keep the kitty litter and the tuber from floating away.
I have never done that. The litter creates a nice solid clump after it has been in the pond a bit. I don't have plant digging koi.

Reaction score
I have never done that. The litter creates a nice solid clump after it has been in the pond a bit. I don't have plant digging koi.
The problem that I have is when I put the pot in the kitty litter starts floating out and the tuber follows. Maybe it's the type of litter I'm using (cheap) but it happens every year. I made a note to myself last fall when I took them out to cut them down that I need to add some soil this year. The pots sit on a sloop in the shallow end and that puts them on an angle which causes the litter to want to come out even more.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I fill the oil pan with the litter, slowly lower it into the water. Dust does float out, but the litter and the tuber stay in place. I use the cheap Walmart pure clay litter.

Ask a Question