New Pond Now Cloudy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My pond is 3 weeks old and it went from crystal clear to very cloudy in the past two days. I've searched for this, but don't believe the results are relevant. I filled it 3 weeks ago, added dechlorinator and 3 fish. I potted 3 lilies and added them shortly after the fish. After no ammonia, I added 3 more fish. As of Wednesday, the 1st day it started looking cloudy, there was no ammonia. My filter is a simple submersible filter (Laguna PowerFlo) with a fountain pump connected (Laguna PowerJet 3000). I have no gravel, just a bare liner. The fish all seem normal, just getting harder to see them. As the water's been warming up, they are starting to eat more aggressively.

The two common internet answers were:

- Rain flushed dirt into the pond. But my pond is slightly raised and sloped, so this shouldn't be an issue. The rain did fill the pond up a little.

- The nitrogen cycle has begun. But unless today's test is different, there is no ammonia. Is the cloudy water the first sign to the cycle? Should I add anything to the water?

Any ideas?

Reaction score
falconut said:
They're in pots (no holes), with special kitty cat liter (pure clay) and small amount of pea gravel on top.
I was wondering the same thing - it sounded like it took some time between the addition of the lilies and the clouding of the water - is that correct? Have you seen any of the koi rooting around in the bottom of your pots? Koi love clay...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
put quilt batting in a basket to pick up the fine stuff
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54073]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 filters and have a basket in each one .I rinse them with a hose and soak them in peroxide and water and back in they go

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't have Koi, mine are comets and I haven't seen them messing with the plants. What is quilt batting and where do you get it?

The ammonia is still 0, so could it still be bacteria?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
walmart
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52798]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52796]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52795]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52128]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:47093]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:44907]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:35793]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:35794]
I think this was the right side and for the oyster shells and the carbon I use dollar store bags ,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
OK. Just tested everything, here are the numbers:

Temp: 72 degress (was 59 degrees 6 days again)
pH: 8.4 (tap water was 8.2)
NO3: 0
Am: 0

Currently I don't have the 3rd compartment for the PowerFlo filter. So, I'm only running the 2 foams, which I haven't disturbed to help the bacteria grow. Do I need to run carbon or lava rock? Could this be my problem? I was planning on getting the 3rd compartment and add lava rock, but was waiting for the cycle to start and finish. I figured that between the liner surface and the plant pots, there'd be enough places for the bacteria to grow.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
My pond is 3 weeks old and it went from crystal clear to very cloudy in the past two days.
Leave it alone and get back to us in 3 weeks. Honestly the only other thing I would suggest is getting a microscope even a toy one and look at what is in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If I can find a microscope, I'll try to look. How about adding something like "Laguna Biological Pond Water Treatment" or "PondCare Accu-Clear". My father gave me these, but I'd like to check before adding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Leave it alone and get back to us in 3 weeks.
My pond is also new, under a month, 6 newly potted plants and 2 fish (2500 gal) and it clouded up (greyish, not green) bacteria seems to be growing on the new liner. I am still building the barrels so I am just cycling the water with the pump right now (3100 gph). I am going to wait it out, I don't like throwing chemicals in if I don't have to (including DE-chlorinator). Wait it out an see if the pond is just in transition (new pond syndrome).

Ask a Question