New pond. Now what? HELP!

Reaction score
Hi
A few months ago I dug a new pond in the back garden. The hole is lined and it is filled with water. But there are no plants or fish.
I would like to fit a pump, but don't want to spend very much. Electric would be great but fitting an exterior power supply sounds complicated. Solar might be an easier solution. The pond is about 2,000 litres (440 UK/530 US gallons). I don't need a fountain, just some movement in the water so fish would be happy.
Any advice on pump/filter/power supply/fish and/or plants very gratefully received.
Thanks

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hey, welcome from the US. Good to have you here. Your pond is about the same size as mine except mine is a pre-molded pond from a local hardware store, (Lowe's). Check out my pics, the IP address is down by my signiture. You can view the pics that I have posted at Picosa. There might be enough visual there to give you an idea what I did with a do it yourself filtration system.

Despite the un-natural setting, I wanted something that looked as natural as possible without getting to expensive. My pond is my own oasis in our back yard, and I really enjoy sitting out there watching the fish with a good cup of brewed coffee when the weather here will allow it.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
oldmarine said:
Hey, welcome from the US. Good to have you here. Your pond is about the same size as mine except mine is a pre-molded pond from a local hardware store, (Lowe's). Check out my pics, the IP address is down by my signiture. You can view the pics that I have posted at Picosa. There might be enough visual there to give you an idea what I did with a do it yourself filtration system.

Despite the un-natural setting, I wanted something that looked as natural as possible without getting to expensive. My pond is my own oasis in our back yard, and I really enjoy sitting out there watching the fish with a good cup of brewed coffee when the weather here will allow it.

Happy ponding,

my favourite part about the pond is doing just that, sitting by with a nice warm{or cold} drink lol

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply. I'd be delighted if I could achieve anything like your pond - sitting out back daydreaming and watching the fish is my ambition too!
The plumbing looks quite complex. I'm trying to make a decision about the size of pump I'll need - not sure what your pond has. All the best

Reaction score
that is all our ambition, we wish we didn't have filters, uv lights, water chemistry and all that other stuff to worry about but we put up with it for that perfect hour of relaxtion we get in that perfect quite moment

Reaction score
i would like that idea but given my weather circumstances and 3-4 month summer period, i need some fish to add excitement to the pond and i love animals lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Build a pond and the critters will come talal,

frosch193.gif

yoiso21.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hi dodecagonpond thats some name you came up with and welcome to the sight And yes getting electric to ponds not cheap .I have a secret weapond for my electric son does it since he has a licenses for all that stuff it comes in handy and he owes his mom big 14 hours of labor to have him ,I think I deserve payback ,lol. yes but talal we wonder what that drink is and make sure it is not to strong may go swimming too lol swim swim

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tell you those preformed are great still have my first preformed too .I was looking at them on pond depot .com and they have some really big ones and some really nice shapes too ,but boy they are not cheap , but I like the fact you cannot see any folds since it is preformed and they even have some great waterfalls too .

Reaction score
He he ponding is addictive..LOL Good luck on the pond construction I find it as relaxing as the finished product..

Reaction score
I hope so addy, I have not had the pond for too long so I really would love some frogs, I'm thinking of catching some small ones by the creek and introducing them into my pond but then again the croaking would irritate the crap out of me so I'm going to stick with dragonflies and we have a lake near by only about 100 feet away and I have seen some dragonflies here without a pond so that would be cool and hahah sissy I think I will stick with my juice and my tea nothing strong for me or else I will be swimming with the fishes literally lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Dodecadonpond. Welcome! My pond/watergarden is similar size. I have 10 or so goldfish, 1 frog, one pump, one bio-filter and a waterfall. It maintains itself without a lot of work. I would recommend you find an electric source otherwise you won't get enough water circulation to keep things running smoothly. I would think in London because it does not get too sunny your pond would be easy to maintain once it is set up properly. Then you can enjoy afternoon tea and watch your fish!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
talal101 said:
I hope so addy, I have not had the pond for too long so I really would love some frogs, I'm thinking of catching some small ones by the creek and introducing them into my pond but then again the croaking would irritate the crap out of me so I'm going to stick with dragonflies and we have a lake near by only about 100 feet away and I have seen some dragonflies here without a pond so that would be cool and hahah sissy I think I will stick with my juice and my tea nothing strong for me or else I will be swimming with the fishes literally lol

Once my pond had water last summer, frogs moved in within a few weeks. You most likely do not need to introduce them to make them come lol.
Dragon flies moved in also, they love to have sticks, tallish water plants to land on.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You only have to run power to it once !!! outside outlets are handy when you need one

Ask a Question