New pond overrun with algae! Help!

Reaction score
We have moved our pond from the front yard, to the backyard recently. It's been setup with water for about 2 1/2 weeks now.

The pond is appx 1200 gallons according to an online calculator. It's 9x9 ft and 2 1/2 feet deep in the center. It gets a lot of sun, as we don't have any trees in the backyard, except for a stumpy palm tree that is near the pond. So I suspect this is the culprit as to why there's so much algae.

We are still constructing the pond, it's been on hold for a week or so because my boyfriend smashed his finger moving some of the waterfall rocks.

In the pond right now is 5 goldfish and 2 small plecos (3 inches).

Anyways, since about day 5 there has been algae growing on the liner, and now the water is that lovely pea soup green color. We plan on getting a uv filter in a few weeks if needed, and some water clarifier to clear up the green water. But what about the algae covering the liner? It's unsightly, and I don't want it in there forever!

I have ordered some pond plants, just waiting for the, to come... Duckweed, frogbit, fairy moss, water lilys and water lettuce. Have only received the water lilies so far, but haven't placed them in the pond yet.

What can I do for this algae? It's covering everything. Thanks for any help!

image.jpg

image.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It may not be deep enough for you heat with being in full sun a shade sail or pergola may be needed besides .I went over 4 feet deep can you get some shade on the pond .I would get a pond thermometer or just a cheap one that is big enough to read how hot your water is .Any one that you can get hold of .

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I stuck an aquarium thermometer in there and it's reading at 75-76 F.

A pergola is an option, eventually. Because we are going to be putting a paving stone area on the right side of the pond with a nice bench, and small fountain and stuff for a nice area to sit and view the pond.

Reaction score
As your pond cycles, it will go through an algae stage. And that's a good thing, because for a while the algae is providing the filtration needed to keep the fish alive. It will balance out over time, and adding the plants in will help. Personally, I would put the lilies in the pond now.

PS - nice pond, looks really good. The rocks really make it, remind your boyfriend of that as he observes his finger :cheerful:

Reaction score
Thank you! The only reason the lilies weren't put in there yet, is because they're just the tubers, and I'm not sure if I planted them right, and wanted to see if they'd even sprout. They're in pots in a grow out bucket at the moment. I'll put them in tomorrow then. And my water lettuce and duckweed came today, once I get something to block the bottom intake tank, so they dont just get sucked into the filter, I'll add those too.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You can do a water change, clean the mechanical filter, scoop up the free floating algae but you all this will go away.

Reaction score
I was just reading that about water lettuce earlier today, and won't be putting it in the pond until we get a pergola installed in a few weeks, which apparently my bf planned on getting before I even brought it up haha. So for now, I've got it in a shady spot outside in a grow bucket. It was sent to me for free when I ordered the duckweed, all mixed together. Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
The total number of different algae species is unknown, but pretty safe to say there are hundreds of different species that could be in your pond. Not enough info given to even guess what even general class of species is growing on your liner.

It's also safe to say that there are plenty of different species that do well in shade, sun, cold water and warm water. The concept that algae can be controlled at all by limiting sun, nutrients or different temps is a myth unless taken to an extreme, like total darkness. Even then it could take weeks for the algae to actually die. And of course once light is returned so would algae. Algae is well adapted to winning most any contest.

If you're serious about wanting your pond free, or almost free, of algae on a long term basis your only choice is chemical. UV is 100% effective against the pea soup type algae but doesn't effect algae that grows on things. So chemicals like AlgaeFix are used. All of these chemicals sold for the pond trade will be labeled as something like "pond safe" or "fish safe", but reading the fine print you will also see something like "when used as directed". Also, by "safe" they mean the fish won't die directly from the application...as long as the fish are healthy and certain other aspects of the pond are good, like O2 level. This is because the chemicals are toxic to fish, but it shouldn't kill them. Kind of like car exhaust is toxic to humans, but won't normally kill us right away unless we aren't healthy to start with or get too much for too long a time period.

You do want to measure ammonia first because algae consumes ammonia, acts as a bio filter. When you kill the algae you kill what might be your only bio filter. Bacteria will ramp up to handle the load probably, but it should be watched unless the fish are not important to you.

Adding other plants will normally effect algae, but it's not possible to predict how. Most plants fight each other using chemicals they produce. Who wins for a give time frame is impossible to predict. Additional algae species will come along with the plants, can't be helped. Those new algae species will also fight for space in the system.

But, again, to eliminate all algae requires chemicals. Plants alone will never be able to do that. Most pond keepers allow some level of algae in their pond, and the more knowledgeable will see the benefits of algae, at least in a Water Garden. Most ponds will contain several different species of algae at any one time and these come and go, increase and decrease over the seasons because each is adapted to certain conditions and ponds are always changing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Buy yourself a U/V-C around about 36 watts our pond is just under yours at 1.000 gallons imperial so it should control your algae remember when its fitted to your pond they are run 24.7 365 days and if you buy a single bulbed one change the bulb every year.
We have noshade apart froma pagoda and the water is always crystal clear. right down to the bottom at 4ft with just the green of the algae that grows on the side and bottom of our pond.
I always worry about people mixing tropicals with what are considered a coldwater species as they can sometimes be incompatable please do your homework on this before adding the two in future.
I dont know how hot or cold your winters are but if it gets too cold your plecs will die so keep an eye on the pond temperature at all times .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Waterbug said:

It's also safe to say that there are plenty of different species that do well in shade, sun, cold water and warm water. The concept that algae can be controlled at all by limiting sun, nutrients or different temps is a myth unless taken to an extreme, like total darkness. Even then it could take weeks for the algae to actually die. And of course once light is returned so would algae. Algae is well adapted to winning most any contest.

I've just read your post and look back, my pond has never have the algae boom period at all - been 2 and a half months now. The pond is in the shade with some sunlight through the tree (hardly). I'll have to count myself lucky then :) finger cross that the algae for shade will never find my pond! :)

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
Buy yourself a U/V-C around about 36 watts our pond is just under yours at 1.000 gallons imperial so it should control your algae remember when its fitted to your pond they are run 24.7 365 days and if you buy a single bulbed one change the bulb every year.
We have noshade apart froma pagoda and the water is always crystal clear. right down to the bottom at 4ft with just the green of the algae that grows on the side and bottom of our pond.
I always worry about people mixing tropicals with what are considered a coldwater species as they can sometimes be incompatable please do your homework on this before adding the two in future.
I dont know how hot or cold your winters are but if it gets too cold your plecs will die so keep an eye on the pond temperature at all times .

rgrds

Dave
We will be getting a uv filter in a few weeks.

As for the plecos, I am well aware that they are a tropical fish and need warmer waters. I actually did a lot of research before I got them, and have read a lot of positive articles and posts from people keeping plecos in their ponds. It is big enough for them to grow, as opposed to a small aquarium that they normally end up in, and due to our hot weather in Southern California, the pond stays pretty constant at 70-75F almost year round. Last two winters it didnt even drop below 70, and rained ONE day. It was 90F most of the winter. So if that happens again, they'll be fine. But when the temp starts to drop, we already have it planned out, to bring the plecos inside.

I care more about the fish than the pond.

Reaction score
And thank you everyone for the information on algae, I've never had a major issue like this when it was in the front yard. So it's new to me! Ill just get a uv filter to get rid of the pea soup color, and worry about the rest of the algae after the pond is complete. :)

Ask a Question