New pond owner. Clueless about ponds and fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!
I just moved into a house that has a small koi and goldfish pond near the front door. The pond is now dark green. There is no filter or pump. The person who owned the pond wasn't much help. Im guessing that she had someone else maintaining it, because she couldnt tell me anything about it. She did give me the number of the person who cleaned it. There are no working electric outlets near the pond so I cant use a filter. Luckily, its small. Its 7 feet by 5 feet, and about 1.5 feet deep. So far, ive noticed about 9 fish. Two are koi. There is also a toad and tadpoles in there.What can I do to get this pond back into shape? I'm not working right now so,I can't afford to pay someone to do it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
You must mean feet in your measurements.
If there is no filter or pump.
I can only think it was being maintain threw water changes and little to no feeding.

Is there any plants in the pond ?
if there is not I would recommend getting some maybe a few.
Plants will help filter and suck some of the nutrients the algae is feeding and growing on.

Since there If no fiter per say I would not do a water change in till you get some plants
As the algae although unsightly it is actually filtering your pond.
Recommend
Water Declorenator you can get this at a fish store.
Pond plants preferably free floaters as they feed much quicker.

When you do do a water change start out with May be 25% wait a week or so and do another 25 %.
When you replenish make sure you use some decor water conditioner.

Good luck
Ruben

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Ruben!
Yes, I did mean feet. Lol. I really appreciate the advice. I had no idea what to do first.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are a few pictures. I know it needs some tlc.
1492987167004-248055062.jpg

Attachments

• 1492987213501-2087721481.jpg
    1492987213501-2087721481.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 203

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Looks like a preform pond from the pic.
Is that thing in the center a fountain of some sort ?
If it is then there is a pump down there somewhere and I would think electrical or solar maybe.

You really need something for water movement even a small fountain pump.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Is that a watefall on the left of the attached file where the rocks are piled up? If so I suspect there is a pump in the water and power somewhere, perhaps hidden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello
Looks like a preform pond from the pic.
Is that thing in the center a fountain of some sort ?
If it is then there is a pump down there somewhere and I would think electrical or solar maybe.

You really need something for water movement even a small fountain pump.

Ruben
I asked her if it was a fountain, and she told me no. She said that it was just decoration. English is not her first language so, maybe she didnt understand all of my questions. I was thinking of purchasing a solar pump. The pond is small so, I should be able to afford a small solar pump.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a little thing, but you could scoop out the leaves and debris. That would at least help keep things from getting worse.
Yes,
Is that a watefall on the left of the attached file where the rocks are piled up? If so I suspect there is a pump in the water and power somewhere, perhaps hidden.
No, just a pile of rocks. Maybe it was a waterfall. I do want a waterfall though. Maybe that will be my long term project. I do believe there is a pump in the water.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I would bet that budgenator is right.
That stacked rock was a waterfall at one point but it might of started leaking or the.pump failed and they just removed it
And just left alone.

That is a small pond so I guess a solar pump would be ok.
But it will only work during the day, and they don't last long (from what I here) and they cost more then a electric fountain pump.
How far away is a electrical outlet
Any chance you can get a outdoor extension cord and a fountain pump 200 gph they are pretty inexpensive.
It has been a while but I think you could get a pump with a sponge filter and a extension cord for $70.00 or there about.

Then you could just hide the extension under the rocks tape and seal where you plug in to it.
You could even put a timer on it if you don't want it running 24/7.
Although these small pumps don't use a lot of electricity.

Just a idea
And beleave me once you start seeing the fish and here the water you are going to go/want it bigger.

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lowes or harbor freight carry smaller pumps and they have a foam filter in them that needs to be cleaned often
100_7018.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello
I would bet that budgenator is right.
That stacked rock was a waterfall at one point but it might of started leaking or the.pump failed and they just removed it
And just left alone.

That is a small pond so I guess a solar pump would be ok.
But it will only work during the day, and they don't last long (from what I here) and they cost more then a electric fountain pump.
How far away is a electrical outlet
Any chance you can get a outdoor extension cord and a fountain pump 200 gph they are pretty inexpensive.
It has been a while but I think you could get a pump with a sponge filter and a extension cord for $70.00 or there about.

Then you could just hide the extension under the rocks tape and seal where you plug in to it.
You could even put a timer on it if you don't want it running 24/7.
Although these small pumps don't use a lot of electricity.

Just a idea
And beleave me once you start seeing the fish and here the water you are going to go/want it bigger.

Ruben
There is a close outlet that I can run an extension cord from. Right before I joined the forum, I purchased an electric pump. I took it back because the instructions were saying that I needed to plug it into a gcfi outlet. The closest pump is a regular outlet.It was a submerged pump so, I wasnt sure if it was safe. Would it be okay to plug an outdoor extension cord into it?

Ask a Question