New pond owner here I have a winter question.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah I am noticing that already. What is a good filtration system for them?
I don't do filters, I filter with only a large bog. So my suggestion to you is one massive bog/plant filter.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah I am noticing that already. What is a good filtration system for them?
Most on here would recommend a bog filter. But it depends on your wants, needs, and preferences. We tend to go natural and let Mother Nature help. Bogs are easy to maintain, are a lovely addition, and there are so many different ways to build them and incorporate into the landscape! However, a bog is not a cure-all solution for an overpopulated pond. It is merely a different kind of filtration. Your main goal at this time should be to reduce the fish load you have now.

The other kind of filtration, we see is in the DKP’s, or dedicated koi ponds. These pond owners have multiple levels of filtration (mechanical as well as biological). There is another site called KOIPHEN where DKP owners can give better advice on their set-ups than we can here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
However, a bog is not a cure-all solution for an overpopulated pond. It is merely a different kind of filtration. Your main goal at this time should be to reduce the fish load you have now.
Agree, the bog filter would be good for a new larger pond if they build one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you enjoy the pond you have now just wait until you get the larger one cooking. Your on your way to the three pond big or at least it seemed so when you found out it would be 800 gallons , after all it sounds like a very big number. But then next comes the 3000 gallon pond, and that suffices a couple years then some more to the 5 or 6 thousand gallon ponders. Then you have the nut jobs like myself my wife calls me the incredible Mr Limpet . FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO REMEMBER THAT MOVIE.. I do admit i wish i wish i was a fish ......... And yes I too highly recommend the bog ...... One of the largest advantages to the bog that i feel is the ability to fit any shape or size requirements you might have. it can be long and skinny or short and fat shallow or deep .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would take that pump and filter inside for the winter. Rinse them and put them away. Some people keep the pump in a bucket of water so the seals don't dry out.

Ask a Question