New Pond Owner in Kansas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry, I posted this in the New Forum, instead of providing a proper intro. :)

Total Newbie here on his first adventure with a garden pond. We purchased a home last year that had a small garden pond already installed. It wasn't in great shape, and my wife told me that I had a year to get it up and running, or she wanted to fill it in. I'll have to admit, this thing has put me through the ringer. I've fought leaks in an old vinyl liner, tried patches, replaced the water pump hose, etc. etc. Finally, we just went for broke, and pulled all the rocks out, and relined with a 45Mil EPDM liner. I can proudly, and exhaustedly, say that I am FINALLY holding my water level. I'm excited to see where we can go with this now, and hope to have a healthy pond that can handle a few small fish, and some aquatic plants. To start, I've added some water lettuce and hyacinth, and would like to add a few feeder goldfish to get things going, or maybe go a different direction with some bluegill or other sunfish.

The pond is approximately 4'x4', with a max depth of just under 2 feet, so approximately 200 gallons or so. I have a Totalpond DD11560 pump, pushing 210GPH through my water fall. Decholorinator has been used on the water according to instructions.

I had no idea how involved this hobby was until I started lurking, and am looking forward to diving in (pun intended).

Cheers,

Feddy

Attachments

• 20160808_181433.jpg
    20160808_181433.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 197

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very nice. May you enjoy sitting by your new pond now that the work is done!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Welcome! U went thru the tuffest part in the beggining lol mending leaks , goodjjob looks grreat.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and now all you have to do is convince your better half that it was worth and then you go bigger :);)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's been a month, but things are going pretty well. Installed a DIY filter that is doing a nice job with the water. Added a few more plants, including some underwater oxygenators, and have a few feeder gold fish doing well. I did get a bit impatient, and added a small shabukin last week, and he seems to be doing great. For the first time last night, he came to top while I was watching to feed on the pellets. I was a little embarrassed about how exciting that seemed to be. I'm definitely obsessed with this little pond at the moment.

I'm already planning on how I can install a Skippy filter next Spring behind my waterfall.

Last edited:

Ask a Question