New Pond owner in Marietta, OH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey guys, just got my first phase pond setup, two preformed ponds with about 300 gallon capacity. I currently have four koi fish all are about 4 months old. I've had many years of aquarium experience, and this seemed like the next logical step, nothing beats relaxing next to running water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
frogpondwelcome2.gif
guitarman023

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
very true and welcome and hope you have a great time relaxing by that pond

Reaction score
I find it interesting that a lot of aquarium people move on to ponds as the next step, but I always hated aquariums. My dad had one, hated it. My roommate in college had one, hated it, then another roommate had a saltwater tank, that was kind of cool, but overall, I didn't like it that much, but for some reason I love ponds. I know it has something to do with the size of the fish, and the tameness of koi, and also a pond seems so much more real, it's obviously just as fake as an aquarium, but for some reason it resonates with me. Am I the only one? Do you guys all have aquariums as well?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Had some but got tired of the maintenance so no more for me thank you. Ponds are easier IMHO and when we have an earthquake I don't have to stand there and hold it up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Funny you should mention the aquarium bit. I had to give up my 100 gal aquarium recently because my fiance's red earred slider got too big for his 55gal. But yeah, aquariums can be quite a bit of work.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a tv aquarium sit and watch the fish in the pond via our tv lol

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

I find it interesting that a lot of aquarium people move on to ponds as the next step, but I always hated aquariums. My dad had one, hated it. My roommate in college had one, hated it, then another roommate had a saltwater tank, that was kind of cool, but overall, I didn't like it that much, but for some reason I love ponds. I know it has something to do with the size of the fish, and the tameness of koi, and also a pond seems so much more real, it's obviously just as fake as an aquarium, but for some reason it resonates with me. Am I the only one? Do you guys all have aquariums as well?

I have a 75g planted tank with about 25 fish and 5 shrimp in it. Three lotus plants and some java ferns, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi guitarman. Welcome. Ponds can be very enjoyable. You get to see your fish in a natural habitat that is much different from an aquarium. You might want to think about a larger pond at some point with 4 koi.

Ask a Question