new pond owner - lots of questions

coelus

new guy
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted in the intro forum, but i wanted to post here as well.

Im new to pond ownership, just purchased a home that has one. So i now have a 1000+ gallon pond, 2 waterfalls. I dont believe we have a filter system, altho there is a setup for a bioball filter system that is not complete. Heck, i dont even know where my pump is. We looked for it, but I think the previous owner burried it with rocks so I really cant find it.

We have lilly pads, cat tails, iris's, and fish. 2 goldfish, 7 koi 3inch-9inch, and 2 40+year old 22inch+ koi that we inhereted from someone We have nothing to protect our fish from preditors, and have already lost one 8inch fantail koi. Our main preditors are racoons and blue herons.

My main questions are-
Filter- is it nessiary
Chemicals- what chemicals if any do i need to look into
Pond cleaning- our pond has years of muck on the bottom of it, and an extensive root system from the plants, whats the best cleaning method
preditors- whats the best defense for racoons and herons
Anyone know the value of a 40+ year old koi thats well over 22 inches

are there any good intro to koi, and intro to pond books i should buy and read

im a novice 100% here, could use some assistance!

thanks!

Reaction score
Filters are highly advisable when owning a pond with fish. They help keep the water clean from fish waste and (in the case of biological filtration) a place for beneficial bacteria to colonize and help remove chemicals like ammonia. I would also recommend regularly using pond bacteria to help with your bottom sludge and to help break down other organic waste like poop and food. Also, you should probably keep a good water conditioner/ dechlorinator handy for when you have to do any water changes

As far as cleaning supplies for the muck, there are various types of pond vacuums to help with that, while pond bacteria can also slowly and naturally help reduce that.

Dont now much about the anti-predator devises, but I have heard good things about those sprinkler kind or some people just keep a net over the water, but that kind of tarnishes the appearance.

Reaction score
Do you have any pic's of the pond?? Does the pond have a liner or is it concrete? Does it have a skimmer?? Some kind of bio/filter is a must with the fish you have. A good water test kit is a must. you'll need Water conditioner/dechlorinater. Pictures would help alot. Only way for sure to protect from herons is a net.

Rick

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have found the best anti predator devices are mostly illegal. They are, however, highly effective. Nuff said...

Reaction score
Get a filter. I have a pond your size and for a year I had no filter. I spoke to someone and got a simple one in which I placed the pump and I swear...in four hours my pond was crystal clear! Without a filter...you get too much particles and stuff in the water. Most stuff will settle, but then you get that "gunk" at the bottom.

Craig

Ask a Question