New pond owner - where to begin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I just recently moved to a home with a small pond in western NY. Calculations put the pond at approx. 150,000 gallons and a max center depth of around 10 feet. There is drainage in and out of the pond. I spent last summer/fall cleaning out the common waste that accumulates over time and neglect. I also added the blue colorant and it seems to have helped with the reduction of new growth. The water this spring looks pretty clean all things considered. However, there doesn't appear to be too many fish in there as previous years so I'm told by the previous owner. Fridgid winters of past along with last summers drought caused the pond to drain almost 3/4 of the way (has since refilled all the way). I'm not looking to spend a fortune right away but over time I'd like to invest into it to bring life back.

What are some of the first steps I should take before just dumping fish right into it? Pumps, filters, bottom feeders? Any advice and tips is appreciated.

Much thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
If this pond has a stream in and out, you should not be adding any colorant, it will only drain into the natural waterways. Also, adding non native fish could be violating your state laws.
Is it being filled from surface runoff?
What is the drainage in and out?
Can you post any pictures?
What is the existing vegetation in and around this pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!
If this pond has a stream in and out, you should not be adding any colorant, it will only drain into the natural waterways. Also, adding non native fish could be violating your state laws.
Is it being filled from surface runoff?
What is the drainage in and out?
Can you post any pictures?
What is the existing vegetation in and around this pond?

I won't add any more colorant if this is the case.
In regards to fish, I wasn't going to put in any in until I spoke with my local DEC contact. I'm a ways from adding them.
It's is mostly filled from surface run off and rain/snow.
The drainage into the pond is water from the woods to keep from becoming a swampland.
I'll try for pictures at a later date.
There isn't much vegetation around the pond. It sits in the middle of my back yard. I mow all around the sides and weed wack where needed. The edges slope slightly down about a foot into the water. Not much to it.

I'm looking to get the water moving and clean to support future life.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pumps and filtration are not usual additions to natural (earthen-bottom) ponds. Aeration, on the other hand, is a major asset.
First thing that I would recommend is that you have the water tested to establish a biochemical baseline from which to work.

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Mowing and weed whacking all around the sides? Sounds like it's missing a buffer zone for shoreline habitat. I'm picturing it looks like a golf course lawn all the way down to the water's edge. Are you up for native shoreline plants to encourage waterfowl and amphibian presence?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pumps and filtration are not usual additions to natural (earthen-bottom) ponds. Aeration, on the other hand, is a major asset.
First thing that I would recommend is that you have the water tested to establish a biochemical baseline from which to work.

I will have the water tested first then. Thank you for the tip!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mowing and weed whacking all around the sides? Sounds like it's missing a buffer zone for shoreline habitat. I'm picturing it looks like a golf course lawn all the way down to the water's edge. Are you up for native shoreline plants to encourage waterfowl and amphibian presence?

The dirt/mud area between the grass edge and water that slopes down has some growth that I keep. I only keep it mowed nice bc when I moved in it was so overgrown you could hardly tell a pond was there. The pond is usually loaded with frogs. I've seen snappers and small turtles in it along with snakes as well. I get all sorts of birds in and out and have seen small four-legged varmints... Muskrats maybe. Last fall there was a beaver for a short time too. No shortage of wildlife.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
small pond in western NY. Calculations put the pond at approx. 150,000 gallons and a max center depth of around 10 feet.
Small pond? that thing is huge!'

Welcome to our group

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It sounds like a great backyard project.
Try and source a local supplier of native marginal plants.
Don't try to plant the typical pond plants that you find in garden centres.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Some native plants are likely to be the worst brutes imaginable and a nightmare down the road on an itty bitty 150k pond

Being picky about invasive habits would exclude spatterdocks, cat tails,,phragmites and quite a few other beastly itty bitty pond chokers, or you will end up seeing them romp faster than you can yank them

If you can lift them

Given that there are snapping turtles and muskrats, that's all the nice tasty pretty plants gone... Might be a good idea to bookmark how to, relocate those....

Some upside with some beastly plant grazers, a recipe for duck in plum sauce. nom nom

Last edited:

Ask a Question