New pond owner - where to begin

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like a great backyard project.
Try and source a local supplier of native marginal plants.
Don't try to plant the typical pond plants that you find in garden centres.

Ok I won't... I'll see what's local. I was hoping between the lily pads and different grasses that it would be enough plants/vegetation for now...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
1/10 th is very small , in the southern region 1/4 acre is usually specified as a minimum for stocking ..+still water+ ..
if electricity is available at pond ..lots can be done . nothing wrong with doing RAS [ recirculating aquaculture system] off 100 K water dirt pond .
one sees lots or fountains [ requires pumping ] or even just paddle aerators

.. i would want to survey and install a 10 K GPH pump . pump up hill to raceways[ edpm lined streams] and bogs ,, drainback to pond .. ,,, requires some thinking . up in that zone expect HARD FREEZE . all pumps and pipe need to drain clear for the freeze up .. ...
of interest is the current population of aquatic life and marginal plants . ..

there are those who would suggest complete sterilization and restock . i am quite hesitant re: sterilization . suggest sampling . one method of sampling is with a rod and reel .baited hook. , or cast net .. ,
marginal planting is .. a world of study . . i am trying to get some golden club going , i think it might be an endangered ,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dr. Michael Timmons (Principal Extension Contact for NY)
Agricultural & Biological Engineering
302 Riley-Robb Hall
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
Tel. (607) 255-1630
Fax. (607) 255-4080
Email: (e-mail address removed)
Specialties: engineering, recirculating systems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A true RAS is not compatible with an earthen-bottom pond.

i do not think Recirculating Aquaculture System needs be discrete and pristine from the environment .

IMAGINE the inquirer has a slump/ low place on the property , that collects water . 100K gallon .. , variable dependent on rainfall . .. just a low hole with snakes and what all.. ..further , imagine that electricity is available at that low slump hole [ or put available ] ,, ,,install a nice high lift high volume lift pump in that low hole .. and pump up hill towards the house .3 inch pipe , design in fountains , pools , streams , bogs .. and all that jazz ,,
would that not be a recirculating system ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
[QUOTE="i am trying to get some golden club going , i think it might be an endangered ,[/QUOTE]

It can be hard to find, its long fleshy roots are a bit tricky to transplant in good condition

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
to the original inquirer ..

i do not think colorant are worth the effort/cost ,, however there is quite the large number of ++ Snake Oils ++ available with various biological .. your mileage may vary

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A true RAS is not compatible with an earthen-bottom pond.

i do not think Recirculating Aquaculture System needs be discrete and pristine from the environment .

IMAGINE the inquirer has a slump/ low place on the property , that collects water . 100K gallon .. , variable dependent on rainfall . .. just a low hole with snakes and what all.. ..further , imagine that electricity is available at that low slump hole [ or put available ] ,, ,,install a nice high lift high volume lift pump in that low hole .. and pump up hill towards the house .3 inch pipe , design in fountains , pools , streams , bogs .. and all that jazz ,,
would that not be a recirculating system ?

It may be a recirculating system, but it is not, by the definition used in commercial aquaculture, a true RAS.
Typically RAS must, by design, sustain very high stocking loads and are indoors and utilize tanks.

"Recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS) operate by filtering water from the fish (or shellfish) tanks so it can be reused within the tank. This dramatically reduces the amount of water and space required to intensively produce seafood products. The steps in RAS include solids removal, ammonia removal, Co2 removal and oxygenation".
BLUE RIDGE AQUACULTURE
http://www.blueridgeaquaculture.com/recirculatingaquaculture.cfm

"Recirculating aquaculture systems are indoor, tank-based systems in which fish are grown at high density under controlled environmental conditions. Generally, farmers adopt a more intensive approach (higher densities and more rigorous management) than other aquaculture production systems."
QUEENSLAND GOVERNMENT
https://www.business.qld.gov.au/ind...tion/production-systems/recirculating-systems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Here in South Carolina Clemson has a website with literally everything to know about a stocked pond. New York either has a county agent in each county or a state university who fills this function. All you need to do is contact them. We have a 6.6 acre stocked lake here behind our house, and Clemson had everything we needed to figure it out. I don't know for sure, but in the recent political climate, you probably cannot stock with koi. They will know. We have stocked bass, bluegill, and sterile Nile carp that eats plants but can't breed. Israeli carp can also be used in this state but they get huge, maybe 4 feet long. There is a document the agent will refer you to with the banned fish. You also need a secchi disk to measure algae and planktonic microbes that promote a healthy school. It's a simple black and white disk that you use to measure the turbidity which directly relates to food availability. If the water is not turbid enough, you add fertilizer. If it hits a critical shallow reading you must remediate the pond to prevent eutrification. Anyway, the agent knows. If you want to see the type of available info as an example, go to clemson's hgic.edu site. Info on a secchi disk is on Wikipedia. Good luck.

Ask a Question