New Pond Parent...learning the ropes but overwhelmed!

Reaction score
We just moved into a new home that came complete with a lovely fully stocked Koi pond. It is run on a large filter system with a UV sterilizer and a waterfall. No plants yet but there might have been some in the past because the last owner left some plant fertilizer. Thankfully, he also left some fish food and some minimal notes on koi care.

However, we were not prepared for the lovely algae bloom so I've been scouring the internet for information on how to tackle this problem. I just replaced the UV light after following the manufacturer's instructions. I do know it was a year old in May so hopefully that will solve part of the problem.

Should I plan to visit a local (nothing is really close but I can find something in Dallas) water garden center for information on learning to care for our new fish? Just overwhelmed by everything I've read and I could use some help simplifying the maintenance routine. I'd also love to get the water somewhat clear so that we could enjoy the beautiful fish swimming in our backyard.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated...even if it's just to point me in another direction!

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
A better choice would be to vist the local pond, koi, water garden club. They will be able to tell you what works without having an interest in selling you products that don't.

By algae bloom do you mean the water is green ?

The first thing I suggest is you have the water tested. There are several factor that can lead to algae growth.

Ask a Question