New Pond - Planning Stage 1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys. I have chosen the location for my new pond. I have big ambitions for this one, but as you can see I have a lot of work to do before I can even start digging. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0831 (2).jpg
    IMG_0831 (2).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 313
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Schrocker99. Welcome to GPF. I turned my computer upside down and still can't quite figure out the pictures. I assume this is the area you are building your pond. I would suggest to get a piece of rope and lay it down in the design of the pond you are hoping to achieve. This way everyone can get a better idea of what you are doing. Also information about the topography would be helpful. Is this area flat or does it get water runnoff? What about large trees with lots of leaves overhead? What is it's proximity to your home and how are you going to view it? How much shade or sun does this spot get? How many gallons and how deep are you planning it and what type of fish? Are you planning berms and what types of plantings around it? Are you planning a waterfall,. bog, or any special viewing areas? what about stone or rocks? These are all things you may want to take into considertion. I'm sure you will get people who will try to help if you post more information. Regards CK

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry about the upside down photos...but I do appreciate the sense of humor here. The area I'm planning to build is right outside the walk out door of my basement next to the concrete patio. This area is slightly raised up and level with the patio - our house sits on a very steep hill that slopes down from the patio. THere is a downspout nearby that I will be routing around the pond to drain directly onto the sloped hill of our backyard. There is a deck over about 75% of the patio and that's where the bulk of viewing the pond will occur when not on the lower patio. Once I remove the tree, there will be no trees above or around the pond. I do plan on landscaping heavily around the pond and will incorporate some Japanse Maples at the outermost edges of the area for some shade. This area gets direct sun for about 40% of the day. My plan is to do a freeform, natural looking pond roughly 10' across and roughly 8' front to back with a large waterfall element. I plan to do a max depth of about 3 feet. Stone and rocks will be exclusively used. I plan on keeping goldfish in the pond. I will take an aerial photo of the area from the deck and I think that will clarify a bit. I can outline the pond on the photo.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Great that you are looking ahead and best to have the pond close where you can enjoy it the most

Reaction score
Country
United States
Attached is the aerial view of my proposed future pond. Any thoughts or reccomendations are appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• pond picture.pdf
    610 KB · Views: 294

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I can't wait to see the progress of your new pond!

Ask a Question