New pond planting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening and thanks for allowing me to post. I am a complete beginner and I have just got to the point of getting plants for the pond. What I would like advise on is in the picture I’ve added to this post your see the moulded pond as planting Troughs what I would like to know do I leave the plant in pot or could I add pond compost to the troughs and plant straight into them.

Attachments

• A68F476E-4169-4A86-8C01-45404B2CD436.jpeg
    A68F476E-4169-4A86-8C01-45404B2CD436.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well, you could do either. What you have going on there is perfectly fine, but.... if you'd like a slightly more 'natural' look, then lose the pot & fill that trough with aquatic planting soil (NOT anything out of your garden or a bag of 'regular' garden soil!) such as this:
and then plant right in that.

Just make sure everything you plant in that fashion is fully hardy to your growing zone, otherwise you'll be looking at pulling & replacing those plants every Spring (with the hardy ones, you will only have to work with then as they overgrow the location & need division)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1651015283690.gif
@Graman
Cuz if you have fish and you just put media in those pockets the fish will root around in there and knock it all out. So then I would choose pots but If fishless you are ok either way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That plant does not like to be disturbed. id pull it from the pot place it in the trough and add 3/8 " gravel to fill in the cup. mine was slow year one then cranked year two

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you could do either. What you have going on there is perfectly fine, but.... if you'd like a slightly more 'natural' look, then lose the pot & fill that trough with aquatic planting soil (NOT anything out of your garden or a bag of 'regular' garden soil!) such as this:
and then plant right in that.

Just make sure everything you plant in that fashion is fully hardy to your growing zone, otherwise you'll be looking at pulling & replacing those plants every Spring (with the hardy ones, you will only have to work with then as they overgrow the location & need division)
Thanks for advice will look into the soil and do my research on thaw plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That plant does not like to be disturbed. id pull it from the pot place it in the trough and add 3/8 " gravel to fill in the cup. mine was slow year one then cranked year two
Thanks for advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome.

Please look into fishless cycling. Filtering the water is fine but that won't help you get a nitrogen cycle established and that is essential for your pond.

Not sure what you mean about treating the water. What did you use?

I plant in river rocks or gravel. Pond plants don't need soil since they pull nutrients from the water. Rocks are much less messy and as jw said, fish will root around in soil and dig up the plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Once your plants get going they will take off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome.

Please look into fishless cycling. Filtering the water is fine but that won't help you get a nitrogen cycle established and that is essential for your pond.

Not sure what you mean about treating the water. What did you use?

I plant in river rocks or gravel. Pond plants don't need soil since they pull nutrients from the water. Rocks are much less messy and as jw said, fish will root around in soil and dig up the plants.
Hi and thanks for the advise. The treatment is called fresh start I was told to use that by the garden centre I got the bond from. I not going to put fish in till the pond is Established. If I use the gravel I guessing I would keep the soil that’s in the pot at present?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Best for the pond if plant is in only gravel . Plant will like a little soil what's your choice what's more important to you plants or pondcand or fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Best for the pond if plant is in only gravel . Plant will like a little soil what's your choice what's more important to you plants or pondcand or fish
Thanks again for advice I would like fish at some point but getting the pond right is my priority.

Ask a Question