new pond project

Reaction score
started a new above ground pond, dimensions are 11x5x3, i am following jameskoi example and building it out of 2x6's.

First pic of the lower frame going in

DSC00430.jpg

here is the frame work starting to be added, slightly changed the way the boards are stacked, since the 2nd board has the most preasure on it i lowred the 3rd one hoping to strenghten the mid section.

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00479.jpg

Added the liner right before the rain started here, so its just placed in there, still need to smothen it out and fold the edges.

DSC00491.jpg

plumbing still needs to be done, plan on using one 55gal drum to begin with.

Reaction score
that's a good point too, doc. I'm worried about this pond's ability to successfully hold water and not bow or just pop under pressure based on the way it is constructed. And you are right, after all the effort of building and stocking it, that wood will have a short life in contact with the soil.

Reaction score
i was worred about the spacing between boards and have added extra support, but from reviewing others simular builds they have not added any support and still stands 6 months later.

Not showing in the first pic is that the wood was treated, and there is a plastic layer seperating the wood and the soil.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It must be that yellow wood...
the plastic was a good idea

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Make sure that none of the wood can ever touch or run off water into the pond. It is treated with a deadly poison.

Reaction score
for sure, the liner will be covering the wood completly so that any run off, or run in will come off of the liner

Worked on folding the liner this weekend, Pic to come shortly, having issues as the liner is much larger then needed, only needed 15X20, have 20x20 got a gret deal on it. As i dont want to cut the liner as this is a semi temporary pond as we are renting the house, i would like to be able to use the full liner in 2 to 3 years when we hopefully buy a house. It does not fold as neatly in the corners with all of the extra hanging over edge.

Reaction score
Question as I have my barrel finally. Where should I put the 2 inch drain? I have been looking through the stickys and looks like most put it on the bottom side a couple of inches off the bottom or should it be placed on the under side of the barrel????

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
All of mine are on the very bottom of the drum
If you come out the side try to keep it as low as the drum will let you

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that would be the design change to mine...going to the bottom, but on the side, as close to the bottom as possible works, i didnt want to have to elevate the drum just to accomodate the dump plumbing..

Reaction score
Pond is done, that is a relative term, has been for over a month now, I have 1 inch PVC pipe running to an external pump, then 1 inch running to a 2 inch pipe going to the bottom of the filter. Intially the scrubies were in mesh bags and placed in the filter, but the pond went green way green and upon inspecting the filter media the scrubies were almost clean so i removed them from the bags and placed them in the filter. But i am still having issues with green water, currently there are only 4 koi approx 3-5 in.

The pump is pumping ruffly 750 gal an hour, that gives me 3 minutes to fill up the filter, ideal time from what i have read. I am looking to add different media to it, maybe the packing straps if i can find it locally, or with the plastic fence material.

Will post pics later today

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
So far the fencing material seems to be working, my concern is if it will work as well as the cut tubes. They provided enough reistance to keep the single cell algae in the filter and allowed me to evacuate it from the sump with the 2" dump valve.

Reaction score
bsr8129 said:
Pond is done, that is a relative term, has been for over a month now, I have 1 inch PVC pipe running to an external pump, then 1 inch running to a 2 inch pipe going to the bottom of the filter. Intially the scrubies were in mesh bags and placed in the filter, but the pond went green way green and upon inspecting the filter media the scrubies were almost clean so i removed them from the bags and placed them in the filter. But i am still having issues with green water, currently there are only 4 koi approx 3-5 in.

The pump is pumping ruffly 750 gal an hour, that gives me 3 minutes to fill up the filter, ideal time from what i have read. I am looking to add different media to it, maybe the packing straps if i can find it locally, or with the plastic fence material.

Will post pics later today

Do you have many plants in the pond? i have been reading that some people are having trouble with green water when using a DIY Skippy filter. i know that the filter only helps break down the ammonia and nitrates but you have to have plants to absorb the nutrients or the algae will get it and turn your water green. thats my understanding of the process anyway. What do you think koiguy and others who have built the Skippy filters?

Ask a Question