New Pond question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry I'm sure this has been covered but when I searched I just couldn't ind it so sorry for the repeat question. Does anyone put anything in the bottom of the pond? I have a preformed pond as this started as a whim but I think I might really be interested in doing this but the bottom is black so I don't see much. Could I put sort of largest stones at the bottom? At least in part of it?

Again sorry if this is a repeat question. Also I don't have power out there, again want to see if this is something I enjoy so any recommendations on a solar pump?

I really appreciate any input you all could give.

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So for your first question - should you put anything on the bottom of your pond. Some people do (I have a gravel bottom pond) but when you say "large rocks" that's a whole other ballgame. How deep is your pond? How large are you thinking? And remember that anything you put in your pond will quickly grow nice layer of algae, so it will all look pretty much the same under the water.

As for a solar pump - you won't find a solar pump that will run much of anything. You can buy them to power small fountains, but that's about it. Unless you want to spend lots of money - then you might be able to get a solar powered panel to run an electric pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
solar pumps on work with sun and just like solar lights they don't last

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for your replies... yeah I guess I was a little naive in thinking that a solar pump would work even with battery back up. There's an outside light that's close to there I will see about running something from there.

All the ponds I've seen on here are simply amazing! I mean wow I didn't know those existed, and my little pond pales in comparison but so far so good. And sorry I put this in the wrong place.

Oh and the rocks I meant were just river rocks... not too big but not pea gravel. I think I will leave it plain then and just put a few here and there for the fish.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
sgreeting_welcome_sign_general_100-109.gif

Make sure wherever you take the electricity from, you install/have installed a GFI outlet for anything near or running in water or damp areas. Once you put plants/fish in your pond, you'll see them fine against the black bottom, which is going to grow green algae anyway.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A pond is a pond and you have to love them all .At times I wish mine was all below ground but it could not be beside my covered front porch so I can enjoy the view of the pond and hillside view . Splendors Gate has been a joy but hard work also

Ask a Question