new pond questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just put in a new pond, it is next to our door where you enter our mud room. It is a covered porch and half of it was dirt, so I came up with the great idea to put a pond there, much to my husbands dismay. We dug it down some and them built it up with barn stones. The deepest part is about 3 feet deep,the dimensions are 5x5, and we purchased a auquagarden inpond 5 in 1 from Lowes, we have the filter working. The problem we are having now, is we filled it up with water from the hose, and we have iron in our water, so it is still cloudy, and as it is settling, we have deposits on the bottom. Is this filter going to be able to clear this up, it has been running for almost 3 days. Is there something we can put in the water?, or should it be filled from the house, we have a water softener for the house. Thanks

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@dcollins Hello and welcome! I can’t help with your question, but would love to see pictures of your pond. And I have to ask, but what are “barn stones?”

Wait, I’m suddenly confused..... Is the pond being filled from a source different from that which feeds your home? It almost sounds like you are talking about 2 separate sources: one with a heavy iron content and one that is filtered. You must have a system built in to your home. If that is the case, then why not go ahead and use the filtered water? Five by five by three feet doesn’t sound that big, and you wouldn’t have to fret about the deposits.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! Picture would indeed help. In general MOST ponds will clear as the sediment settles. Most new ponds are full of dust and silt from the building process and the rocks and gravel being dirty. Your pond is still quite new - I would give it more time!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Just keep in mind that salt is bad for freshwater fish and freshwater plants. ;)
Salt is hard on the kidneys of fish, and plants will absorb the components of salt instead of the other minerals they need for survival.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some softners are not connected to all the water running into the house .My hose bibs are plumbed on their own and by pass my whole house filter .Maybe her softner is plumbed that way .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Softeners should not be connected to any water you drink or outside garden taps.
Softened water should only be used for bathing and clothes washing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We just put in a new pond, it is next to our door where you enter our mud room. It is a covered porch and half of it was dirt, so I came up with the great idea to put a pond there, much to my husbands dismay. We dug it down some and them built it up with barn stones. The deepest part is about 3 feet deep,the dimensions are 5x5, and we purchased a auquagarden inpond 5 in 1 from Lowes, we have the filter working. The problem we are having now, is we filled it up with water from the hose, and we have iron in our water, so it is still cloudy, and as it is settling, we have deposits on the bottom. Is this filter going to be able to clear this up, it has been running for almost 3 days. Is there something we can put in the water?, or should it be filled from the house, we have a water softener for the house. Thanks
Welcome to the forum. Let us know if this is correct:
It sounds like you filled the pond with hose water that is supplied from a well not the house. Is that correct?
If that is correct, your pump/filter will not remove the iron (unless you have a sophisticated system).
If this is the case, here is an option:
You can fill your pond with house water but,,,first go to your water softener and turn on the bypass valve which will send out of the tap, whatever the water company delivers to your home. Remember, the water is now 'raw' and will require chlorine/chloramine removal. I use Prime but there are other good water treatments available too. You can use house water with a hose by connecting it to your utility room washbasin and carefully running the hose outdoors.
Anyway, just some thoughts. Hope I helped!
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Softeners should not be connected to any water you drink or outside garden taps.
Softened water should only be used for bathing and clothes washing.[/QUOTE
I didn't know that either!
I didn't know that either! I have central water, so I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject. What exactly is in the softener? Is that the tank with salt? Or the one that compensates for acidity with crushed oyster shells and other minerals with names that escape my mind?
Just wondering....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a softener in AZ, water was rock hard. We put bags of salt into it to soften the water.

Ask a Question