2-Should i add fish now [no koi]?
3-Should i run the filter during the day only. [without UV light]
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. What zone are you in and I may have missed the details of your pond, as for adding fish I would not yet if you just added water. Instead I would do a search in here for nitrogen cycle. Your zone my dictate what you do for the rest of the year with your filtratration and even with that some run their setup all year and most in cold climates dont. Pics are a plus too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@420benz - filtration should be either on or off. If you turn it off at night most if not all of the beneficial bacteria will die off and you'll be starting over every day. Some people do shut their pond down for winter and then restart in the spring.

What zone are you again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. What zone are you in and I may have missed the details of your pond, as for adding fish I would not yet if you just added water. Instead I would do a search in here for nitrogen cycle. Your zone my dictate what you do for the rest of the year with your filtratration and even with that some run their setup all year and most in cold climates dont. Pics are a plus too.
Zone 8

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@420benz - filtration should be either on or off. If you turn it off at night most if not all of the beneficial bacteria will die off and you'll be starting over every day. Some people do shut their pond down for winter and then restart in the spring.

What zone are you again?
Zone 8

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could add a lily now. You may not get much activity this season, but you'll be ready to go in spring. And you may find some good buys on waterlilies right now!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Zone 8, fire up the filter and run it all winter 24/7, or run it now until you start getting ice coverage, if you get ice coverage. Add some lilies, add a few other plants if you want, marginals etc.
Fish I would wait until spring.

I ran my pond for almost a year before adding fish. I did have a ph issue which was part of the reason. In the spring added fish, they did fine.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm in zone 8 too and my filter gets taken out in Fall but my pump continues to run my waterfall for circulation. I turn off my aerator also. Lilies can be put down about 18" or more in the water and they will start growing in Spring. I have never added fish in the Winter. Early Fall might be ok but it's getting too cold here now for that IMO. You want your water in the pond to be right for the fish and it really should cycle first. By Spring it should be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Decided not to use the skimmer. It is from Aquascape.
1- What can i use to seal up the two hose holes?
2-I need to seal up the big skimmer opening i don't know if Aquarscape has a plate to do that.
3-Where should i put the pump?
I am going to use the skimmer box as a planter.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Removing pump from skimmer.No more skimmer.Should i put the pump where the skimmer was, or on the opposite end away from waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You pump can go anywhere you want. The two components that should be opposite each other (as much as possible) are the skimmer and the waterfall. Since you aren't using the skimmer, the choice is yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What perennial pond plants can o plant now? Local nursery is having a sale.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What perennial pond plants can o plant now? Local nursery is having a sale.
Anything you like and is hardy in your zone. The plants should say if they will survive the winter. I put in new plants in the fall when I first built my pond. These were added in October, more or less. They start growing and keep growing, really take off in the spring.
DSC00322.JPG

Ask a Question