New pond questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The filter i had was an Aquascape Ultra clean. After 3 days the pond color never changed. So i returned it for a full refund of $319.00. I ordered two filters for less then the price of the return. So i decided to put the skimmer back and put the filter that came with a pump in the skimmer.The other filter will go on the other end of the pond.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 8.56.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 8.56.34 PM.png
    167.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 41ayhhmXLtL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    41ayhhmXLtL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 118
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Let me just make a small suggestion... you need to slow down just a bit and give you pond time to find a balance. Three days is really not that long for a filter to clear a new pond of sediment, no matter what kind of filter it is. I'm not pushing the Aquascape filter over any other, but sometimes you do get what you pay for.

And now you've put the skimmer back in the pond, but I think we determined it had not been installed correctly. Do you have a pump in the skimmer? You seem to be removing and replacing filters and skimmers and pumps with relative ease...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
First of all as you can tell i have absolutely no patients. I really don't think that a filter without sponges will not clear the stone dust out of this pond. I installed the skimmer back because one of the filters comes with a pump that i will put in the skimmer. The Aquascape filter cost $366.00. Thats not cheap. But you are wright i am going too fast. In less then a week i will have two filters going but unless i upset the bottom of this pond the dust that has settled on the bottom will always be there.

Attachments

• 20181031_104013.jpg
    20181031_104013.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 94

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
dust that has settled on the bottom will always be there.
There will always be dust, dirt, debris of some sort on the bottom of the pond. Unless it is kept covered it will never be perfectly clean, or you have one of those dedicated high filter koi ponds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When it's your pond you can do whatever you choose - that's half the fun! But the other half is enjoying your pond, and sometimes patience is the ponder's best tool. Sometimes you just have to be willing to wait. Otherwise you'll find yourself resorting to additives and chemicals and all the other stuff that's out there that you can buy that's "guaranteed" to work. You know what works every time? Nature. Nature is all about balance. If your pond is built right and functioning properly, nature will be the master orchestra director that keeps the whole thing humming along.

I know the Aquascape filter is pricey - but sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to buy the more expensive product first rather than have to keep replacing the cheaper one because it doesn't perform. Again, I'm not promoting the Aquascape over any other filter - I don't even HAVE a filter on my pond - I'm just speaking generally. Your cheaper filters may indeed work better for less money - I hope that's the case. But every filter is going to need time, especially on a new pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
WOW Again. If you guy's put yourself in my shoes, after reading all of this Great Info it will confuse the s..t out of you.That being said being retired i have plenty of time to clean these filters until the pond is crystal clear if that is possible with these filters. I put fish and marginal plants in the pond.I just received one of the two filters i will be using.I know [thats crazy] but i really would like to see the fish. I just Love this forum. Picking fish, plants and everything else [except for filters] i wouldn't be able to do without your help.So Thanks Again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I really appreciate all of the advice you people have given me. I promise to sit back and wait.The fish are starting to come out of the cave but when i go out to feed them they go wright back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Zone 8: Is getting cold 46 Today.Should i keep feeding the fish?
Also Grandson wants to add a turtle.Don't know anything about turtles.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Zone 8: Is getting cold 46 Today.Should i keep feeding the fish?
Also Grandson wants to add a turtle.Don't know anything about turtles.
What is your water temperature? And how many/what kind of fish do you have? You could stop feeding and they will be fine, snacking off algae and stuff like that.

What kind of turtle? Before you consider whether to add a turtle, you should do some research (or if Grandson is old enough, let him do research — or do it together) to find out what kind of turtle you want. You would want to know what its living requirements are. If you simply “put a turtle in the pond,” for one thing, it’s probably going to escape (they are escape artists), so you’d need to come up with a way to contain it. Then, what does it need to be happy and healthy in a pond? How does it over-winter, etc.

Ask a Question