New pond questions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know the temp.of the water.Just ordered a thermometer. I have Gold fish, Shubunkins, comets and mosquito eating fish. There is no way to confine them so i think i will get a plastic one for now. He is 5. Since the pond is very new there is no algae yet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Most garden ponds are not suited for turtles quite honestly. The ponds that I've seen that had turtles were built FOR turtles. We did visit one pond once that had a red eared slider that had just taken up residence and stayed, but they were lucky - there's no way to make them stay unless you contain them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks.
This will have to do for now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 10.55.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 10.55.00 AM.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 114

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks.
This will have to do for now.
Hey, for a 5 y/o, that seems the perfect choice! It’s always there and you don’t have to worry about feeding it. My turtles aren’t aquatic, but they still need shallow water, so it’s much easier to confine them.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I don't feed my fish once the water temp goes under 55F. Before that, I transitioned from summer food to autumn food (that had less protein) and fed less.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm still feeding my goldfish off and on. Temp is still around high 50's during the daytime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When i put food in the pond they come out from under the cave[after i leave] and eat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Strange happening this morning.It was raining pretty hard and it seemed like the fish were trying to get out of the pond.One of them actually flipped on its side on top of one of the rocks. I guess they never experienced rain before.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Strange happening this morning.It was raining pretty hard and it seemed like the fish were trying to get out of the pond.One of them actually flipped on its side on top of one of the rocks. I guess they never experienced rain before.
Do you have a water test kit? How often do you check? What are the numbers for your ammonia, nitrites, pH?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't know what's going on ?

Attachments

• Water Test.jpg
    Water Test.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 140

Ask a Question