New pond questions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Building my first raised pond out of sleepers, I've finished the structure and now just need to put in the pond liner.

All going well but I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1. I'm going to be using an all in one pump/filter with a fountain, I've cut a notch to run the cable in through the sleepers but want to secure the pump power cable to the inside of the sleepers and across the bottom to where I'm going to put the filter, to keep the cable from floating about. Are there any products that allow me to stick the cable to the liner that can easily be removed if/when the filter packs up?
2. I'm planning to put some rocks in the bottom to give the fish places to hide, the local beach has loads that i can use but they will have salt on them... can I use them once I've washed them without harming the fish.
3.Just in autumn now was wondering whether any pond plants stay green during the winter (in the UK)

Thanks in advance
Adrian

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How tall is the pond? What sort of support do those sleepers have? A wall of sleepers won't hold up to the weight of many gallons of water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all

Building my first raised pond out of sleepers, I've finished the structure and now just need to put in the pond liner.

All going well but I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1. I'm going to be using an all in one pump/filter with a fountain, I've cut a notch to run the cable in through the sleepers but want to secure the pump power cable to the inside of the sleepers and across the bottom to where I'm going to put the filter, to keep the cable from floating about. Are there any products that allow me to stick the cable to the liner that can easily be removed if/when the filter packs up? depending how big your talking the pond will be it sounds smaller you can use a conduit pipe glued to the liner before you and water and pull the cable out any time you need
2. I'm planning to put some rocks in the bottom to give the fish places to hide, the local beach has loads that i can use but they will have salt on them... can I use them once I've washed them without harming the fish. soak them for a couple days but the salt really shouldn't be a problem unless the pond in small
3.Just in autumn now was wondering whether any pond plants stay green during the winter (in the UK)

Thanks in advance
Adrian

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How tall is the pond? What sort of support do those sleepers have? A wall of sleepers won't hold up to the weight of many gallons of water.

Hi

The pond is 2.3 m long by 1.2 wide, 500mm deep. The sleepers are screwed (250 timber flex screws) together each layer and then fixed to the layer below and sits on a custom built concrete pad. Hopefully that will be sufficent?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1664810784298.gif
and welcome @Lazeespite

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi

The pond is 2.3 m long by 1.2 wide, 500mm deep. The sleepers are screwed (250 timber flex screws) together each layer and then fixed to the layer below and sits on a custom built concrete pad. Hopefully that will be sufficent?
It's an engineering equation for sure... I'd want to do the math before filling it. You don't want to find out the hard way!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
. . . . . . . . to keep the cable from floating about. Are there any products that allow me to stick the cable to the liner that can easily be removed if/when the filter packs up?

Cable floating? I have a pond with an All-In-One pump-filter. The whole thing just sits at the bottom of the pond. The cable lies across the bottom of the pond - it doesn't move about and certainly doesn't float. Where the cable runs up over the side of the pond it's just disguised with some plants.

Other submerged pumps and filters etc I've got and never had one that floats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
None of the power cords in my pond float.

The only things that want to float are the air lines for the air stones. I remedied that with those lead strips that fisherman use which come in a matchbook type form. You tear off each strip and wrap it around the air line in several locations.
Of course, you could use just about anything with any weight by attaching it to the lines with string, tape or whatever you choose.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Of course, you could use just about anything with any weight by attaching it to the lines with string, tape or whatever you choose.
You can also replace it with weighted line. Best thing we ever did. I got so tired of trying to keep those air lines where they belonged. It's not cheap, but well worth it. I don't know why every aerator isn't sold with weighted line. I can't think of a single reason why a floating line would be preferred.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't worry about it my line comes up from below the liner.

But I can see how that could be an ongoing issue. Like Lisa said the weighted isn't cheap but it's worth it long term.
A dyi fix though could be to place some Nuts . As in nuts and bolts . Over the line and a few zip ties or some caulking to keep it where you want the weight.

Ask a Question