new pond rebuild

Reaction score
Following is my pond plan. I still need to do some work to complete my filter system. I would like to turn my main waterfall off during the winter and keep everything else running. Can you offer some advice if there's a better filter setup and pipe sizes?

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 289
  • pond pic2.jpg
    pond pic2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 302
  • pond pic3.jpg
    pond pic3.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 363
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would suggest putting valves on your water line and add a pipe going to your tpr's.
If you haven't started you pond just split the waterfall pipe add a 3-way valve or several ball valves and put a flanged connector in your pond.

QUOTE=odin5738;39576]Following is my pond plan. I still need to do some work to complete my filter system. I would like to turn my main waterfall off during the winter and keep everything else running. Can you offer some advice if there's a better filter setup and pipe sizes?[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
I havn't stated building it yet. The only thing I've done is the demo. I removed all the concrete last weekend and now I've been racking my brains trying to figure out my plumbing and filtration. I havn't bought anything yet. I was planning on an independent submerigible pump to my big waterfall from my skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I were you I would not plumb the bottom drain to your skimmer. You don't know how much waste fish put out or how a skimmer handles string algae should you get it.
I would go with a sieve and then to your bio falls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are cheaper falls that are as good if not better than bio falls ou there.

Reaction score
Russell gardens has a hydro sieve that's pretty reasonable. I could run one BD through it and the other through the Nexus 310. Do you think this would be adequate bio filtration including the bio fall?

Reaction score
Which falls are you refering to. I'm open to all suggestions. My biggest concern is having adequate filtration and still stay in my budget. Although that's already getting blown apart. Oh, I forgot to include the size of my pond. It's going to be 20' long, 13' at the widest and 7' at the narrowest 4' deep. Around 5 to 6000 gal.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The filter falls you might want to look at are the Pro Biological Filter and Falls
and the Livingponds Filter 070

Ask a Question