New pond set up, will rust hurt fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am new here and I am setting up my pond this weekend. I have had aquariums for years, and worked at a pet store as a teenager, so I am pretty fluent with tropical fish, gold fish keeping and live plant needs. This is a new foray for me. I have a galvanized stock tank (170 gallons) about 3 ft tall and 5 feet long. It was used for many years as a horse trough at a friend's farm. After reading how new tanks can leech zinc into the water, killing fish, I went with older, rather than buying new. I power washed it and found that it wasn't just algae in the bottom, but a small amount of rust has started there. Powerwashing helped,but the rust is there and I am not sure whether I should just get a new tank or try this and see how it goes. I will be putting in oxygenator plants, and decorative plants as well as trying a couple small goldfish. Thoughts? I read somewhere that you can try painting a rubber sealant on the bottom, however, galvanized metal is notoriously hard to paint as far as getting stuff to stick. Has anyone had experience with this? I live in New England and my water is very hard, not acidic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I were you, I would get a pond liner and use that inside the tank. You might want to put some sort of underliner in as well to keep the rust from rubbing a hole in the liner. Old carpeting works well for that and it would protect the liner from the roughness of the tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I suggest covering it with a liner. That would be the best and most economical way to cure the problem. The paint-on liners can be costly.

Galvanized containers are not good for live fish or plants. Get a small EPDM liner. Considering the size, the liner will not cost much.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593016640782.gif
@VTgardner
Me too, agree w/putting in a liner to be safe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all! I painted the inside of the tank with a rubberize it pond/ pool safe paint. It hardens into rubber sealant and my fish and plants are quite happy and my water readings are good!

Ask a Question