Bodyshop20

Newt
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hard
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I am an experienced aquarium keeper n breeder, so I understand the nitrite etc cycles, water changes etc.
I have recently completed a garden make over and created a 4000 litre pond.
Water tests are showing perfect conditions.
The problem is the koi seem to ignore food, this is now going on 2 weeks, they seem happy feeding on the algae, I know tropical fish do this but still enjoy feeding time.
Could any of you pond experienced keepers enlighten me please.
I thank you dearly in advance.
Again Hello to you all, and thank you for taking the time to read my plight

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Sometimes it takes them a while to get used to new surroundings, and if they seem happy and healthy, maybe algae is all they need right now.

Since you have koi in a 4000 l (approx 1000 gallon) pond, be sure not to over feed…..and pull out any food they don’t eat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1654980349525.gif
@Bodyshop20
They will eat when they want to. Just takes some time for them to get used to their surroundings and new ways.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
SWITCH THE FOOD YOUR USING I DOUBT THEY'D DO IT AGAIN

Bodyshop20

Newt
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hard
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! Sometimes it takes them a while to get used to new surroundings, and if they seem happy and healthy, maybe algae is all they need right now.

Since you have koi in a 4000 l (approx 1000 gallon) pond, be sure not to over feed…..and pull out any food they don’t eat.
Thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Bodyshop20 to the GPF!

I know this isn't your question, but I will sound my standard alarm - your pond is far too small for the number of koi you have. I know they are small now, but they will rapidly outgrow the pond and the results will be disaster. It's almost a shame that they sell them so small - it lures people into buying far too many for the size of their pond.

A 1000 gallon pond is well suited to goldfish.

Bodyshop20

Newt
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hard
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @Bodyshop20 to the GPF!

I know this isn't your question, but I will sound my standard alarm - your pond is far too small for the number of koi you have. I know they are small now, but they will rapidly outgrow the pond and the results will be disaster. It's almost a shame that they sell them so small - it lures people into buying far too many for the size of their pond.

A 1000 gallon pond is well suited to goldfish.
I see your concerns but as they grow I will lower the stock and sell on to friends, thank you for flagging me up, appreciative of any advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think it's normal for new fish to be a little shy as far as eating.

Not only will newly introduced fish do this, but even my 12 year old fish do this in the early Spring.

Don't feel bad, sometimes newly introduced fish hide for a while and people think they were eaten by predators. It could take a couple of weeks.

Before you know it, they'll be attacking the food in masses. They'll even know when you approach and start circling at the surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I would try another food (if you are feeding floating, try sinking and visa versa) Are they even coming to see what you are feeding? Also, I want to warn you that rehoming is no easy process...First, if you have a conscience, you have to find homes that have adequate space, filter, ect..., and then you have to try and catch them, then put them in a container big enough with oxygen until they get to their new home..and then you have to part with what has become a cherished pet. Believe me, it is not going to be that easy later on...Much easier if you do it now...Just my two cents....

Bodyshop20

Newt
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hard
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's normal for new fish to be a little shy as far as eating.

Not only will newly introduced fish do this, but even my 12 year old fish do this in the early Spring.

Don't feel bad, sometimes newly introduced fish hide for a while and people think they were eaten by predators. It could take a couple of weeks.

Before you know it, they'll be attacking the food in masses. They'll even know when you approach and start circling at the surface.
Thank you for the reassurance

Bodyshop20

Newt
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Hard
Country
United Kingdom
I would try another food (if you are feeding floating, try sinking and visa versa) Are they even coming to see what you are feeding? Also, I want to warn you that rehoming is no easy process...First, if you have a conscience, you have to find homes that have adequate space, filter, ect..., and then you have to try and catch them, then put them in a container big enough with oxygen until they get to their new home..and then you have to part with what has become a cherished pet. Believe me, it is not going to be that easy later on...Much easier if you do it now...Just my two cents....
Point taken .
I’m clued up on fish transportation but appreciate any tips offered.
Fish are now feeding, very shy but feeding.
Been offering small amounts everyday, removed if not eaten after 15 mins.
And finally they all shoaled up n slurped the food away

Ask a Question