New Pond - Solar Equipment

Reaction score
I am considering putting a pond into my garden which will just house a few goldfish. I was considering having a 6ft x 6ft pond. I see many ponds without any filtration or air pumps and they seem to house their fish just fine.

I do not want to run electricity to the pond as it will be some distance from the house however, I would like to use a couple of these air pumps which run off of solar.

My question is, is this sufficient or do I need a filtration unit as well.

Many thanks for any help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You will need a small circulation pump. you might find a DC one that will work off your panels if they have enough output.

Reaction score
Thanks, I wonder if a circulation pump would be better to have than the air pump as I will not have much energy out of the solar. I thought that pumping in oxygen via the air pumps would be also circulate the water (albeit not as much) as well.

Reaction score
BlueRam said:
Thanks, I wonder if a circulation pump would be better to have than the air pump as I will not have much energy out of the solar. I thought that pumping in oxygen via the air pumps would be also circulate the water (albeit not as much) as well.

depends on how powerful your pumps are...i would use air pumps because disolved oxygen is more important than water movement...you could do like 4 airstones and a fountain in the middle...you could find all of this in solar at the link i provided

Ask a Question