New Pond - Starting to get some alge

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hello! Brand new pond owner...it's been in and running about 3 weeks. The last 3-4 days we had several inches of rain and today while feeding the small koi we have, I noticed some small amounts of string alge growing in the waterfall on the rocks as well as one small area of non-string alge in a small pool up to the side of the waterfall. I also see it in the skimmer box a bit. It wasn't there a few days ago or at least I couldn't see it yet. Water is very clear, fish are doing great.

Pond is about 2000 gallons. Filter mat in the skimmer box, as well as double mats and bio-twist in the waterfall box. Per Blue Thumb I have been adding a few ounces of their pool cleaner (good bacteria) once per week after an initial double dose to get things started.

No plants in the pond yet (most likely not until spring at this point).

I did also note that everything under the water line is forming a ver slight slimy layer on it that just blends in with the rocks.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's great that the water is clear.
I don't know what that "pool cleaner" is, but just the name itself scares me.
I wouldn't add anything. Just let nature do its thing.
Any moss or other growth on your waterfall rocks is probably just fine. It is most likely a good thing. Growth on your liner is good and an essential part of the ecology. Never attempt to scrub it off.
Also, you can rinse the filter mats, but never rinse the bio-twists. The beneficial bacteria lives on that and you want that to stay.
Try to add some plants now, they are an essential part of the natural cycle. If you're located in a place that has cold winters, get hardy plants that will help now and return in the spring. Anything tropical will not last long if your temperatures drop too low.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My thoughts? Sounds great! Also - you said you have no plants in the pond, but Nature disagrees. She’s growing you some algae! Get some plants in the pond and complete that eco-circle of plants- fish-water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with the above, I filter my pond with plants only and it does fine, never get string algae. Used to get some in the small fishless ponds but now they don't even grow the stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello! Brand new pond owner...it's been in and running about 3 weeks. The last 3-4 days we had several inches of rain and today while feeding the small koi we have, I noticed some small amounts of string alge growing in the waterfall on the rocks as well as one small area of non-string alge in a small pool up to the side of the waterfall. I also see it in the skimmer box a bit. It wasn't there a few days ago or at least I couldn't see it yet. Water is very clear, fish are doing great.

Pond is about 2000 gallons. Filter mat in the skimmer box, as well as double mats and bio-twist in the waterfall box. Per Blue Thumb I have been adding a few ounces of their pool cleaner (good bacteria) once per week after an initial double dose to get things started.

No plants in the pond yet (most likely not until spring at this point).

I did also note that everything under the water line is forming a ver slight slimy layer on it that just blends in with the rocks.

Thoughts?
Hi. I agree with all the advice given above. Algae is okay. It’s feeding on the fish waste because your pond filter has not cycled fully yet. When it’s properly cycled then the algae will go away because the filter is competing with it for nutrients. I wouldn’t over feed until the pond is fully cycled. In the spring I barely feed my fish until I know all the beneficial bacteria is working in the filter. I’d rather have skinny fish than diseased fish from high ammonia and nitrite. I hope this helps!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In the early spring I welcome the sight of algae - the greener the better. It takes time for plants to get growing in a pond and the algae performs a beneficial service by eating up all the excess nutrients in the meantime. Once the plants are actively growing, most of the algae just disappears. Every healthy pond has algae in it though... it's a valuable part of the bio-filtration.

Algae is nothing more than a plant that gets a bad rap as a nuisance. (I know from a biology point of view algae isn't REALLY a plant, but it performs the same plant-like function in the pond, so close enough!)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Algae is your friend
1570288664877.gif
:love:

Ask a Question