New pond (to me!)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
9BFB3BE4-84A4-46A9-B18F-D54E82F33F1D.jpeg
BA1023A8-A549-4210-A43C-302F70E6A89D.jpeg
1D4BF593-C2F1-4D2F-9781-DF353B9119CA.jpeg
6F219848-A884-48DE-9DAB-3DA811F5E84E.jpeg
Hello all! Been checking out some posts for a few weeks and feel it’s time for me to post. I bought a house just this year with a pond that is about 10 years old. Water seems pretty clear...I’m putting beneficial bacteria in it once a week, it has an aqua scale ion generator with a little bit of the copper probe left, and is pretty much maintenance free at this point. I put 6 gold fish in it after all fish that were in it over the winter died. We have seen up to 4 frogs at once in it and most recently a tiny frog that is new. Wondering if anyone has any advice on any of the plants...they seem a bit over grown and I’d like to trim some back. Or do you think I should let it all grow this year just to see whats there, then decide to cut some back. Open to any suggestions!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @HIPpond Your pond looks great! I personally wouldn't do much about the plants but if you think they're too big you could probably trim them back a bit. I would however recommend you to test your water with a liquid/drop based test kit and make sure your pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates are within acceptable limits. Especially since the pond is new to you and there's no guarantee that the water quality is good just because the water clarity seems to be.
https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWAT...r=8-3&keywords=api+freshwater+master+test+kit

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group. Great looking pond! I would leave the plants alone.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks all for your responses! I will take your advice and leave the plants alone for now!

I did test the water and only found the PH to be high.must be our water as I have the same issue with our hot tub. So do you all use chemical to lower that or is their a more natural way?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks all for your responses! I will take your advice and leave the plants alone for now!

I did test the water and only found the PH to be high.must be our water as I have the same issue with our hot tub. So do you all use chemical to lower that or is their a more natural way?

What was the pH? A stable pH is more important than trying to artificially raise it or lower it assuming it's already in an acceptable range to begin with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a pretty pond! Your plants look lovely!

And pssst... feel free to ditch the bacteria in a bottle. Your pond is mature and has been growing it's own for a long time!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very pretty pond! The plants with yellow flowers are called yellow flag iris. They are great for taking up nutrients from the pond but keep an eye on them. They can take over a pond if they are not divided every couple of years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi there, beautiful pond, love how your marginal plants are placed. Where are you located? Curious based on how you plants are blooming. Guessing a 6ish climate?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What a pretty pond! Your plants look lovely!

And pssst... feel free to ditch the bacteria in a bottle. Your pond is mature and has been growing it's own for a long time!

Not sure I love the idea as things are going pretty good right now....maybe I'll back off a little bit. ;)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there, beautiful pond, love how your marginal plants are placed. Where are you located? Curious based on how you plants are blooming. Guessing a 6ish climate?

I am close to the Toronto area. And thanks everyone for the really nice responses. Took at peak at all your ponds as well.....I am amazed at the effort and dedication you all put into this. I am hoping to also get to your knowledge levels.......I put 6 fish in the pond 2 weeks ago and haven't seen them in 2 days. There is a little koi cave so they may be hiding......but I hope they are still there!

Ask a Question