New pond water conditioner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I've built a new koi pond I'm going to fill it tomorrow can anyone point me in the rite direction how I get the water safe for fish to going in ie get rid of chemicals in tap water ? I have a big filter system ready plus any more tips on starting the pond off any help would be appreciated

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1595884001387.gif
@Tankeryanker
If your city water has chlorine or other additives you will need to add de-chlorinater liquid. How big is your pond as koi need a lot of room?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! If your water contains chlorine, you’ll need something to neutralize that. I don’t know what products are available in the UK.

Just curios how big your pond will be, and how many koi are you planning on?

Is this your first pond and / or first time having koi?

Just wondering, since you are asking about water conditioners.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any thing your local pond store has should do the trick. we won't have the same here in the states that you do across the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I use Tetra Pond AquaSafe Water Conditioner, but there are many others.

Your pond will be too small for koi. Look into getting Shubunkin, you won't be disappointed.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why to small ???
I didn't put the size into a pond size calculator, he is saying that due to the fact if you have one koi it needs 1000 gallons of water, two 1500 gallons, they like lots of filtration and lots of water. Just remember koi can grow rapidly to 2 feet in size.

Shubunkins have great colors, called poor mans koi, or like I call them my pretty non koi fish. They are not fussy about water, filtration etc. Very low care compared to having koi.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Pond is about 13’ x 11’ x 4‘, about 3500 gallons...if I am reading the dimensions correctly (4m x 3.5m x 4ft with a mix of metric and imperial — although Mt is metric tons, so assume mt is meters?).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Pond is about 13’ x 11’ x 4‘, about 3500 gallons...if I am reading the dimensions correctly (4m x 3.5m x 4ft with a mix of metric and imperial — although Mt is metric tons, so assume mt is meters?).
If those calculations are correct (3500 gallons), then you are OK. Sorry if I was incorrect and I apologize. I always seem to have a problem with metrics.

Ask a Question