New pond water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just constructed my pond which is 11 foot x 6.6 and 1.6 deep running on a pondopress 10000 pump and filter returning to pond down cascade into pond. After only 10 days the water has now turned green and visibility nearly zero, have I done something wrong any help much appreciated.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
hello-everyone-omega-forums.gif

Hi Dave...If your pond has only been running for 10 days it hasn't cycled yet. It can take a few months to cycle. The green water is normal. Are you doing anything to cycle the pond? Did you add fish? Have you taken water readings?

You'll get good advice here. There are many very knowledgeable people here to help out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thankyou all, new to this, I have 11 small goldfish in pond and now 4 frogs have turned up from who knows where. Do I leave the pump running all the time

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome but should have waited to put in fish and hopefully algae bloom will save them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Dave. It will be beautiful in time. Everyone wants their pond to look great right off the bat when they show it off to family and friends after putting so much hard work into it. Unfortunately or really fortunately you are building a miniature ecosystem. Once it is established the waste from your fish will naturally be broken down into less harmful components. Unfortunately there is nothing to do but to wait it out. I recommend to never add any sort of chemical except declor to treat the water. You should add plants as they will compete with the algae for nutrients and also use the nitrates that are formed in your pond.... and actually algae is your friend and will help reduce the harmful effects of fish waste until your beneficial bacteria (bb) switch on. Eventually the algae will mostly all go away. There is a lot of great advice on this forum and quite a few very nice people that will be glad to help you. Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave, welcome.
There are a few of us Brits on here.

It's part of the process of the pond settling down biologically, and it will clear. Please don't be tempted to do large water changes - that actually adds to the problem.

Lots of plants also helps - they use up the nutrients and compete with the algae.
Chris

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Like they all said your pond is new and it needs time to get established.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave. It will be beautiful in time. Everyone wants their pond to look great right off the bat when they show it off to family and friends after putting so much hard work into it. Unfortunately or really fortunately you are building a miniature ecosystem. Once it is established the waste from your fish will naturally be broken down into less harmful components. Unfortunately there is nothing to do but to wait it out. I recommend to never add any sort of chemical except declor to treat the water. You should add plants as they will compete with the algae for nutrients and also use the nitrates that are formed in your pond.... and actually algae is your friend and will help reduce the harmful effects of fish waste until your beneficial bacteria (bb) switch on. Eventually the algae will mostly all go away. There is a lot of great advice on this forum and quite a few very nice people that will be glad to help you. Good luck!
Hi Dave, welcome.
There are a few of us Brits on here.

It's part of the process of the pond settling down biologically, and it will clear. Please don't be tempted to do large water changes - that actually adds to the problem.

Lots of plants also helps - they use up the nutrients and compete with the algae.
Chris
Thanks for the useful advice I guess it's more plants at the moment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there from another UKMember. Have you any pics of the pond?..... that would be good as we all like to see what's being talked about, far better to have a visual rather than just a mental pic, as sometimes we can get it wrong!
Plants are good for ponds, mine Is well planted despite having two large and boisterous Koi. I was going to suggest at least a couple of water lilies, as they not only shade the water from sunlight, which kelps to promote algae, but also provide a canopy of leaves for the occupants to shelter under from the suns rays or predators. However, I then re-read your post and saw the max depth is 1.6 foot. Many water lilies prefer much deeper waters, but, there are mini ones too. I would suggest you make the suppliers aware of the depth if you decide to get a lily or two as they may be able to suggest which (if any) varieties could be more suitable for that depth as a regular deep water lily when planted in a lily basket that is around 8inches deep will only have10 or so of water above the soil which isn't much really.
Elodea is a good plant for our UK ponds as is Hornwort and Starwort. Marginals like Marsh Marigold, Siberian Iris, and Pickerel Weed also help to utilise excess nutrients which all add to the green water syndrome. Hope this is of help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
algae is the first thing to take off in a pond. Along will come things that munch algae and plants that munch algaes lunch.... If you encourage them....

Ask a Question