New pond & waterfall build

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi garden pond enthusiasts,

Newbie member here... Thought I'd share some progress photos of my backyard DIY pond/waterfall build. I hope 'Garden Pond Talk' is the right forum to post this in. I've been at it for two full weekends so far (I have very hard clay-like soil and I'm doing this all by myself... and it rained hard during this past week so working in muddy conditions this weekend).

Some small details about the project:
  • Skimmer filter is Aquascape Signature Series 400
  • Pump is Alpine PUR5400C (adjustable from 2000-5400 GPH)
  • Waterfall filter fall is Atlantic Oasis Series BF1600
  • Waterfall head height is 6'
  • Tubing is 2" I.D. flexible.
  • Aquascape Check Valve installed to pump in skimmer box
  • Total head is about 11' (PVC tubing 35', one 45* connector used)
  • Pond is roughly 1000 gallons (approx. 9 x 10' with depths of 8", 18", and 24")
  • I plan to add plants and goldfish (comets and shubunkins)
That's about it for now. Please feel free to ask me any questions or provide any feedback if you see anything I might be doing wrong.

Oh, I've also been recording an ongoing time lapse video of the build from start to finish and will be happy to share that on this site once the project is complete.

Johnny

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm... I created an album and added photos but the album says I haven't added any media yet (though it does show 14 items). Will add photos to this post once the media becomes available in my album.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Weekend 1:
IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looking very nice. One issue I may see is your pump size with that head height will reduce your gph down to about 1500gph with the pipe length considered too. It may not be enough for the size and width of you waterfall. If you want the waterfall to be the entire opening before it hits the pond then you may need to make a pool so it collects water before it spills over in a wider pattern that way. I had to do that with my stream which started out at 22" and ended at 6' wide. But I am just guessing with out knowing your true design. Looks like a great project and will follow your progress.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh you sad hard clay but that looks like cement .You could always get another pump 2 pumps are always better than one .Remember also to get a liquid test kit and do not add fish until pond tests good .Also remember fish have babies .Also if your pond is in sun most of the day remember water will evaporate faster and waterfall will aid in that

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks RobAmy, bagsmom, cas, and sissy for your replies.

RobAmy,
That's great advice. Although my pump is rated at close to 2500 GPH at 10' of head height, I definitely prefer a wide and even fall and would prefer to not set my pump at the max power setting. I'll dig a little 3" collecting pool before each of the lower wide falls (my design is actually to split the fall into two towards the middle of the cascade).

Sissy,
I ordered a water test kit (by API) and also a water de-chlorinator. Is there any other water treatment i should use in addition to prepare for fish? Also, I'm hoping I don't need a 2nd pump since I'm assuming that would require separate tubing up to the waterfall filterfall.

Thanks!
Johnny

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :) Your pond looks beautiful..... you've been working hard! Looking at the area behind your waterfall, specifically, the dirt behind it, make sure it can't run off into the pond, during a heavy rain.

I'm really looking forward to following your progress :)

Ask a Question