New Pond

Reaction score
I bought a house several years ago with an existing concrete pond. It measures 82'' x 62'' x 15'' and is approximately 325 gallons. For years, it has been overgrown with parrot feather and has been little more than a mosquito farm. Well, today I finally decided to clean it out and start from scratch.

I am looking for any type of advice you guys can give... from the type of filter, to recommending some plants and fish that might do well. I know that I want a biological and a UV filter.

The ground all around the pond is rock about 6'' below the surface, so burying an external filter box is not an option. I was thinking of going with either an internal type with a submersible UV, or an external box type that would sit outside the pond at approximately the 12 o'clock position and just spill back into the pond. I guess I could build some sort of stone "house" around it or just try to conceal it with some potted plants. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As far as fish go, I would love some koi, but I realize that my pond is less then ideal size. I thought about perhaps buying four or five 4'' long specimens and just keeping them until they get too big and then trading them in for smaller ones. I also like fancy goldfish - orandas, ryukins, moores, etc - I would think these could live forever in my pond... any recommendations on how many I could safely maintain? I know commets are good, but I don't really care for them that much.

Finally, plants... I live in Birmingham, AL which is in USDA zone 7b. The pond gets about 4 - 5 hours of direct sun every day. Is this sufficent for any type of waterlilly? I would also like to have some of those tall, straight plants that grow up above the surface (cat tail??). Can these be left to grow in pots?

Thanks in advance!

2387080704_Pond-med.jpg

Ask a Question