New pond

would a small pool filter work for this?

• w

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • qw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
would a small pool filter work for this?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 244

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you had the right medium in it. Sand pool filters are too fine, they would clog constantly.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with Addy1 on the pool filter. You could turn the upper portion into a up flow bog and depending on what you wanted to keep would be all the filter you need. Addy, has a thread stickied on how to build this at the top of the pond construction forum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i have a 1500gph pool filter with a removable element that i can clean or replace. then i was going to use a waterfall box to make a secondary bio filter. thanks. i am new to this and any helpful hints would be grateful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What chemical is used to treat the wood you built the pond with?
It might say on the labels that are on the wood or you can find out from the supplier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Copper is poisonous to fish and algae and the fungicides will cause you to have water quality issues.
Your algae will suffer as well and algae is an important part of a healthy pond ecosystem.
Pressure treated wood is not generally recommended for pond construction where the chemicals could leach into the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Copper is poisonous to fish and algae and the fungicides will cause you to have water quality issues.
Your algae will suffer as well and algae is an important part of a healthy pond ecosystem.
Pressure treated wood is not generally recommended for pond construction where the chemicals could leach into the water.
the box itself will never come in contact with the water. the top trim will be spuce.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ok, Just was wondering if you were aware of it.
Splashing water and rain runoff are also sources that could cause the chemicals to get into the pond water.

-oh, it's not your pond.
Maybe post a picture of your pond when you can.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The treatment will be either ACQ or Copper Azole, .06 treatment for 2x and .15 for 4x. If you do build one like this just know those arent rated for ground contact and will rot quickly. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about splash and runoff causing issues in the pond. That treatment is very light and the lumber drys out quickly. I built one like this years ago, back when treatment was CCA (treatment was higher as well) and it never had any issues. Might if the lumber was in constant contact with the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The treatment will be either ACQ or Copper Azole, .06 treatment for 2x and .15 for 4x. If you do build one like this just know those arent rated for ground contact and will rot quickly. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about splash and runoff causing issues in the pond. That treatment is very light and the lumber drys out quickly. I built one like this years ago, back when treatment was CCA (treatment was higher as well) and it never had any issues. Might if the lumber was in constant contact with the water.
the timbers will be on a layer of bricks. keeping them off the ground.

Ask a Question