New pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have new 450 gallons pond and I put 3-4 koi fish to test the water, but after 3-4 hrs they are seeming dying and are staying one place. My pH is around 7.5-8.1. Any suggestion what happened?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have new 450 gallons pond and I put 3-4 koi fish to test the water, but after 3-4 hrs they are seeming dying and are staying one place. My pH is around 7.5-8.1. Any suggestion what happened?
Too many variables and questions that need answering before anyone can really help.

1. how long has the water been in before you added fish?
2. what size are the ko?
3. did you add dechlor when you added the water?
4. what kind/amount of water movement? Aerators? Waterfalls?
5. temp of water?
6. how long did you acclimate the new fish?
7. Any other water test numbers that might be important? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, KH, GH?
8. Plants? How many, what kind?
9. what kind/amount of filtration?
10. type of pond; preform, liner, concrete?
11. where did you get the new fish from?
12. Any other fish in the pond when you added the new ones?

I'm sure there are other questions, but that should help get everything started. And, be more exactt with any numbers; there's a huge difference between 7.5 and 8.1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Too many variables and questions that need answering before anyone can really help.

1. how long has the water been in before you added fish?
2. what size are the ko?
3. did you add dechlor when you added the water?
4. what kind/amount of water movement? Aerators? Waterfalls?
5. temp of water?
6. how long did you acclimate the new fish?
7. Any other water test numbers that might be important? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, KH, GH?
8. Plants? How many, what kind?
9. what kind/amount of filtration?
10. type of pond; preform, liner, concrete?
11. where did you get the new fish from?
12. Any other fish in the pond when you added the new ones?

I'm sure there are other questions, but that should help get everything started. And, be more exactt with any numbers; there's a huge difference between 7.5 and 8.1
1. 3 days
2. Small size 3”
3.yes
4. I have water fall from aquascape bio filter
5. Avg temperature
6. It’s not new fish …it ‘s from my old pond
7.ammonia and nitrite is avg
8. Water lilies
9. Bio filter
10. Concrete coating with waterproof seal
11. From old pond
12. No

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
1. 3 days
2. Small size 3”
3.yes
4. I have water fall from aquascape bio filter
5. Avg temperature
6. It’s not new fish …it ‘s from my old pond
7.ammonia and nitrite is avg
8. Water lilies
9. Bio filter
10. Concrete coating with waterproof seal
11. From old pond
12. No
The water in your old pond was cycled, the new water is not. It takes time to cycle a pond so it's perfectly safe for fish, be they new or transfers. Avg ammonia is not a number and there is NO average ammonia. It's a concentration that needs to be addressed. You should use a liquid test kit, not the strips. Ammonia should be ZERO to be safe. Anything else can cause problems. Same for nitrites. Numbers are needed.

I doubt your biofilter was ready to go after only 3 days and it might not be enough, depending on what you used to use. Is this filter FROM the old pond? That is, did you totally clean it or bring it right from the old to the new pond? If so, that would have been a good thing as it would have established bacteria, which is what you need. See, the old pond had a biofilm and established bacteria that helped keep your system safe for the fish. The new pond with new water, did/does not.

If you have the old pond water, I'd move as much as you can from there to the new pond. Too, any underwater structures that are covered with algae and biofilm, move those over too. There might have been an acclimation issue upon transferring but I suspect the water in your old pond was similar enough re temp, pH to not be a problem. We still need an exact pH number, too. That said, do you know what the pH of the old water was? When I get fish and acclimate them, I generally add MY pond wate to the bag they came in, very slowly, like over a couple of hours, so the temp and pH change can be handled by the fish. If you have any aerators, I'd add them. What was the size of your old pond?

You most likely are also having an issue due to the concrete + sealer because it's new. What type of old pond did you have?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626664102631.gif
@Choden

Reaction score
Country
United States
The water in your old pond was cycled, the new water is not. It takes time to cycle a pond so it's perfectly safe for fish, be they new or transfers. Avg ammonia is not a number and there is NO average ammonia. It's a concentration that needs to be addressed. You should use a liquid test kit, not the strips. Ammonia should be ZERO to be safe. Anything else can cause problems. Same for nitrites. Numbers are needed.

I doubt your biofilter was ready to go after only 3 days and it might not be enough, depending on what you used to use. Is this filter FROM the old pond? That is, did you totally clean it or bring it right from the old to the new pond? If so, that would have been a good thing as it would have established bacteria, which is what you need. See, the old pond had a biofilm and established bacteria that helped keep your system safe for the fish. The new pond with new water, did/does not.

If you have the old pond water, I'd move as much as you can from there to the new pond. Too, any underwater structures that are covered with algae and biofilm, move those over too. There might have been an acclimation issue upon transferring but I suspect the water in your old pond was similar enough re temp, pH to not be a problem. We still need an exact pH number, too. That said, do you know what the pH of the old water was? When I get fish and acclimate them, I generally add MY pond wate to the bag they came in, very slowly, like over a couple of hours, so the temp and pH change can be handled by the fish. If you have any aerators, I'd add them. What was the size of your old pond?

You most likely are also having an issue due to the concrete + sealer because it's new. What type of old pond did you have?
I still have koi fish the old pond ( 5 koi fish 12”)and old bio filter in the old pond (75 gallon). The new pond has a new bio filter but I ran 1 weeks without the fish. Do you think I should wait longer for my new pond established the bacteria?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I still have koi fish the old pond ( 5 koi fish 12”)and old bio filter in the old pond (75 gallon). The new pond has a new bio filter but I ran 1 weeks without the fish. Do you think I should wait longer for my new pond established the bacteria?
yes, without doubt. Look up 'fishless cycling' and see if that interests you. Basically, you cycle by adding ammonia straight to the new water. You'll still need the liquid test kit to monitor the levels. You should see ammonia spike, then nitrites, then nitrates. At this point, your ammonia should be zero. The ammonia will feed the bacteria you have already (and I'd heartily recommend you put a filter pad from the OLD pond into the new one to jump start the cycle).

Add some plants, too, as water lilies are not the best for filtering the water. Water lettuce and water hyacinth do well but you may have to protect the roots from the fish, once you re-introduce them. Imo, you could put one or two fish (small ones) within a couple of weeks. The test kit will tell you how it's going. Don't be surprised if you get some free-floating algae (though, probably not too bad until you actually start feeding fish again; plants will help with this aspect of pond keeping).

Ask a Question