New Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
We started on our pond, finally. I thought I’d post some pictures and ask for suggestions/advice. If you see anything I should do before the liner goes down, let me know. I can’t really make it any larger due to my liner (20x25), but I’m hoping I can make adjustments if I need to. Part of my issue has been tree roots; as I cut the roots out, I’ve had some structural issues, my shelf falling apart a little. I also plan on having a stream and waterfall. This is my first pond build, so try to keep it simple for me
C79AADCE-CA72-4B4E-942D-6E636EF3FC40.jpeg
08A8698A-E055-4503-93CA-9A67220C27F7.jpeg
4DB517A5-19B1-4C8C-9315-C57D5DB7165B.jpeg
2DC3DCF9-389D-4111-A61C-200A1D0CF9E1.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd be willing to bet your going to hit some major tap roots in your direction your digging. . i'm assuming the blue heading toward the tree is your stream and falls. if your looking at building on top of the existing soil to make your stream and then the water fall you can kill some tree's buy burying some trees roots under more soil but so long as it's only one 1/4 of the tree's roots you should be ok once you get to 50% some trees will die.

it appears you have done your homework on the liner just be careful it looks like you may already over the safety limit
1 foot fold at the surface, 1 foot drop, 1 foot shelf , 2 foot drop, 9 feet across the bottom 2 foot rise, 1 foot shelf, 1 foot rise, 1 foot fold over. leaving a foot for wrinkles and such

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd be willing to bet your going to hit some major tap roots in your direction your digging. . i'm assuming the blue heading toward the tree is your stream and falls. if your looking at building on top of the existing soil to make your stream and then the water fall you can kill some tree's buy burying some trees roots under more soil but so long as it's only one 1/4 of the tree's roots you should be ok once you get to 50% some trees will die.

it appears you have done your homework on the liner just be careful it looks like you may already over the safety limit
1 foot fold at the surface, 1 foot drop, 1 foot shelf , 2 foot drop, 9 feet across the bottom 2 foot rise, 1 foot shelf, 1 foot rise, 1 foot fold over. leaving a foot for wrinkles and such
Thanks for your thoughts. You are correct in your assumptions. If I have become too ambitious, more than what my liner can handle, I suppose I just start back-filling areas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I strongly recommend placing a tarp to catch the water orr even dragging the liner out and then a small pump to pull the water out. Looks like you have a lot of clay it could be days or weeks before your water drains. and then your playing in the mud

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I’ve been delayed by rain…View attachment 148339
Hey your hole holds water!

I strongly recommend placing a tarp to catch the water orr even dragging the liner out and then a small pump to pull the water out. Looks like you have a lot of clay it could be days or weeks before your water drains. and then your playing in the mud
I don't think there is liner yet.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've been there! When digging my pond, it totally filled with rain water twice before I could get the liner down. I also have clay so I had to use a pump to pump the water out. On the plus side, it softened the clay and made digging easier!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I filled it with water for a test run. I will empty it out to make my corrections. I know I need to lower my skimmer about an inch. I’m also thinking about adding a bog on the left side. Also thinking I might need to raise the entire stream for better flow. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 189CA9A4-1B44-441D-9FD1-8CDB89C846A7.jpeg
    189CA9A4-1B44-441D-9FD1-8CDB89C846A7.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 32

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Whya re you lowering the skimmer? I think the water level is good as is. The stream could use some more pitch if you would like a faster flow, but it isnt required. and as always, bogs are wonderful!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The skimmer has a “waterline” mark. My skimmer sits with this mark about 1-2” above the actual waterline. I think I will add a little height to the falls, but not too much. We’d rather it meandering than gushing.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
@eich09 Maybe you could post a link that would cover the reason for this thread. Sorry, but I don’t remember and I’m lost……
I think they are just posting an update to a pond build with a couple of questions.

Ask a Question