New pond

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 120 preformed pond which is approximately 18 inches deep. It is in a kidney shape, I think. I have 5 oranda goldfish and 1 black moor, which turned orange. Five of them are about 5-6inches and a little one about 2 inches. My 2 hardy lilies are looking good so far and getting bigger each day. The water pump is for about 130-140 gallons and is inside of a homemade prefilter. My diy filter releases water into the water fall, but I’m not sure if it is efficient because algae has been a huge problem for me. If anyone can help me with this problem I will appreciate it.

Reaction score
Thanks DrDave,

No, there are no floating plants in my pond the only plants that float are the lilies' leaves.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you can get your hands on some water lettuce, that will help. That plant may be banned in Texas but it is a great asset to your ponds health.

Reaction score
I wanted some water lettuce for my pond, but you are right they arent allowed in Texas. I brushed off the algea and did a water change. Five days have passed and my pond is even worst than before. I put a tent over the pond to reduce the amout of sun light it gets. Temperatures in this area have been in the three digits so this might be the cause of algea bloom. Pond temperature is usually between 80-85F.

Ask a Question