New pond

deerbars

trustafarian
Reaction score
We are west of Jupiter,FL. This spring we dug a pond on our 5 acres. Pond is about 70 ft X 20 ft X 12 ft. Pond has filled in beautifully and have stocked 1000 Gambusia minnows. Plan to put in some bluegills and black bass this fall. Banks are planted with St Augusitine grass.Have just planted some small pond cypress trees and some Fakahatchee grass. Want advice on planting more native trees and plants in and around pond.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 246

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, that is one big pond you have looks like a golf course with a lake that I would be sure to land in. Is it earthen bottom or do you have a liner in it? There are some folks on here that are from FL so they will be able to give you advice on some native trees and plantings. Maybe you could grow a cypress tree in the pond if it has an earthen bottom?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WOW! a verticle pond...how'd you do that ? lol let me fix that...turn it right side up! ...nice looking pond
post-3789-0-43949900-1316531287_thumb.jpg

this one should have been full page....sorry

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum, Deerbars! And Mark, There is definitely something fishy here!!! John

deerbars

trustafarian
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Pond has earthen bottom,no liner. Sorry about the vertical pic. Not very computer savy. Will try to post more pics with the right side up!!!

deerbars

trustafarian
Reaction score
A Few more pictures of the new pond. Right side up this time!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 256

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, Nice looking pond, looks like a pond you would find on a well groomed golf course!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It looks lovely! Now to keep the critters out so they can't get your fish...............this is the fun part! Let the games begin! Have you had any problems yet w/ the Heron or Egrets etc. w/ the little fishies you have in there?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks lovely! Now to keep the critters out so they can't get your fish...............this is the fun part! Let the games begin! Have you had any problems yet w/ the Heron or Egrets etc. w/ the little fishies you have in there?

Looks like he made it 12 feet deep jw, the fish have lots of room to run and hide.

deerbars

trustafarian
Reaction score
J.W No problems so far. A few herons and egrets and they are welcome to a few minnows. We had wood ducks in as the pond was filling this spring. Put up a wood duck house and lo and behold the hen moved right in and raised a clutch in the duckhouse. I think the pond is big enough and deep enough so that the fish will be ok.Only Gambusia minnows in so far.We have a healthy racoon population here west of Jupiter and a neighbor with a slightly smaller pond tried Koi.Said the coons would stand on the banks and eat the koi like eating a ear of corn.His pond is much shallower than mine.Time will tell.Bass and bluegills going in in October.Planted 4 large Fakahatchee plants[3 gallon] yesterday on the north bank.They move beautifully in the breeze. Want to put in some Muhlyhair grass today.Really enjoying the new pond and am hoping the fingerling bass and bluegills will make it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
J.W No problems so far. A few herons and egrets and they are welcome to a few minnows. We had wood ducks in as the pond was filling this spring. Put up a wood duck house and lo and behold the hen moved right in and raised a clutch in the duckhouse. I think the pond is big enough and deep enough so that the fish will be ok.Only Gambusia minnows in so far.We have a healthy racoon population here west of Jupiter and a neighbor with a slightly smaller pond tried Koi.Said the coons would stand on the banks and eat the koi like eating a ear of corn.His pond is much shallower than mine.Time will tell.Bass and bluegills going in in October.Planted 4 large Fakahatchee plants[3 gallon] yesterday on the north bank.They move beautifully in the breeze. Want to put in some Muhlyhair grass today.Really enjoying the new pond and am hoping the fingerling bass and bluegills will make it.

I bet they will, they don't have the pretty bright colors to catch a birds eye as well as gold fish and koi do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww a nice big digger! they are wonderful for digging ponds. You might want to start a construction thread in the construction forum for a posting of your build pictures.

Ask a Question