New Ponder from Nebraska

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I'm Lisa from Nebraska and I am in the process of putting my backyard pond together. I was raised on the farm (yearssss back) and love the lake/camping, and have always wanted a pond of some sort in my back yard. My significant other and I moved to a new house last year and I've had my eye on a spot in our yard for one ever since we've moved here. Were putting in a ground deck to the left of our pond and a firepit sitting area to the right of our new pond...lots of work to do yet.
I have four grown kids ages 27-18, one dog, four cats (3 in and one out), which I'm betting the outside one will really enjoy it when we put some fish in the new pond!
I'm finding that big rocks scratch/bruise and are a pain to move alone, but I'm also betting it will be worth it in the end (wait is there an end???) Nice to meet everyone and any suggestion's are welcomed!

Here's pictures of my pond

https://picasaweb.google.com/rebelangel3733/23?authkey=Gv1sRgCIaI17u394iYiwE

https://picasaweb.google.com/rebelangel3733/29?authkey=Gv1sRgCL2ykO7N94ujjgE

Attachments

• P4231385.jpg
    P4231385.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 247

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, It's worth it in the long run, you'll get many more relaxing hours by the pond than you put in. Sounds like it will be really nice once it's all done!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh my pond is a 270 gallon pre formed liner, I have two submersible pumps, one for the fountain and one for the waterfall. I'm working on a DIY bio filter, just not sure how big to make it. I'm finding I should have made some sort of skimmer, but I have a pool skimmer I'll use for now until I get to that step and figure that one out.
OH and I consider the scratches/boo boo's on my arms from the rocks I'm moving to be battle scars where I'm winning!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great job and welcome to our humble bunch of ponders what are your plans for around the pond and are you going to have fish goldies or koi .Remember koi get big fast.your second set of pics are great like your waterfall

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You really should not need a skimmer as long as you keep the water moving most should go into your filter anyway and the rest you can get a net to pick it up .I don't have a skimmer in mine and had no problems .Anything that does blow on the top can be scooped off with my net that I bought at a local pet shop .My first preformed was that size and I used a tote with furnace filters and lava rock and quilt batting to pick up the fine stuff 'but koi out grew it in 1 year

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hope to have some fish in this...kids keep saying they are bringing me bluegill and lil catfish but that not what's going in there! I'm thinking a couple goldfish/shubunkin (if thats how one spells that) after I get some lillies and or something growing in there.

As for the landscaping, well...we are building a ground level deck to the left of the pond and landscape blocks under the firepit to the right (lots). My significant other works at a greenhouse on the side and we have access to many kinds of plants/bushes (cheap lol).

I want to make a path from the deck behind the waterfall to the firepit, and another path from the stoop off the bottom and around to the firepit area too. Probably going to use alot of those limestone looking walk stones (I think).

Thinking of blocking around the back of waterfall with landscape blocks to make it look more pleasing to the eye big enough to plant stuff up around in that too. I really like those red japanese maples, but not sure how tall they grow so not sure about that yet. We will be having elephant ears (we have 4 large ones inside right now) that usually just set outside in the summer anyway....lots of ideas...now for the money and time part...lol

So far have spent about 300 bucks, the rocks I got from the neighbor who tore them out and had them sitting lumped around a large tree of his...never fails to ask if someone wants to get rid of something, but fear I'll need more then what I have and I have larger ones that I havent moved into the photos yet (waiting for help to move them!).

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
welcome to the pond efishyinoddoes group.
...........................................................efficienados.....................................
enjoy your time here and at your pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
smileywelcome687.gif

Welcome, keep us posted on your progress, it will be really nice when done. The red Japanese maples grow pretty slow.

Like your idea of the blocks for your waterfall, the deck sounds wonderful.

Keep it up

Reaction score
welcome to the forum..nice little pond. Last year I put in a little preform in my front yard (it was my 5th pond) and wow it was a lot more work then I thought....the ones with the liners were much easier.
you did a great job with the stones.

Reaction score
just set up my first pond have some knowledge my family members have had ponds before
just one question please my local pond store guy said i should let my pond go green from bacteria one time before i use my uv light
he said this will set up the good bacteria
any opinions

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome jdkr2011 and posting the size of your pond and where your at in NJ will help us tell you. What is the depth and do you have fish and what kind .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
alge is green not bacteria...if you add bacteria you should leave your U.V for a couple days untill the bacteria finds a home...benenficial bacteria colonizes surfaces in your pond and filter..it doesnt free float..but some bad bacteria does. letting your pond green up isnt neccessarily a bad thing..its feeding on the nitrates. i let my pond go green for a few days each year then turn on my U.V for 7 -10 days. thats time to clear the water and i let it go an extra 5 days. my plants dont take off til june and my ponds in full sun. but when my waters clear and i'm done running it, its job is done for the year.were lucky to have any available plants by mothers day.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've finished the rock work on the waterfall and still need to rearrange the outside lining rocks, but I'm getting there! Pretty much pleased with what I've accomplished so far...now for the landscaping, We are putting in a ground level deck, then I plan on having two walk ways leading towards the firepit (which needs to be finished with pavers under/around yet) and then landscaping..not sure of the order these will be finished but. Oh and need to finish burying the electrical and put in underwater lighting in the pond. By george I have a plan...I think. Let's see if I can get the pic's to work again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe this worked...

Attachments

• P5011409.jpg
    P5011409.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 277
  • P4301401.jpg