New ponder, I know what I want, just not sure how to get there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have wanted a pond with waterfall for years, now I'm finally ready to start the project. My space is 13' x 28'. It's next to a raised deck and bay window with a sidewalk on the other side. A 5' waterfall would start just below the bay window heading down toward an 8' x 13' x 2' deep pond that I plan on having plants and goldfish in. That size is based on a 15' x 20' liner which is by far the most cost effective, anything larger goes up dramatically. I will need some help on filters, to skimmer or not to skimmer, pump type and size, because I want a waterfall with sound. I really love the sound of rushing water, but can't find a waterfall picture I think I would be happy with. The more I look and read I change where I'm headed a lot. I would like to start the falls so it looks like it's coming out of the house and down but I really don't want splashing water yet I want the sound of rushing water. The part that intimates me the most is trying to build the waterfall, but I can't or won't afford a contractor, I really want to do it myself. So over the next little while I will be asking for advice and suggestions on everything, but I will try and have an idea where I'm headed before I ask. Thanks in advance for the help, I'm really glad to be here, your the best sight I've found.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Take a pic from inside to see what you may be looking at as the way you make it sound the waterfall will not be visible from inside .Skimmer depends on stuff like leaves and things getting in the pond .I have never had a skimmer but have 2 filters and for pumps I chose laguna because of electric savings and also have a laguna aerator .I did mine myself .I use stock tanks for filters so I can put plants in them also and use lava rock in them and keep my water lines from them in my pond and use sump pump hose.Welcome and others will give you great ideas also

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome @Roughinmill
You've found an excellent source for information, full of helpful friendly folks. Your plan sounds lovely!

I think a good starting point, as far as your waterfall is concerned, is to keep researching photos to find what you would really like. Check out the showcases and photos here on the forum, as several members have beautiful set ups. Are you wanting the sound of rushing water to drown out neighborhood noise, or is it just a preference? I ask because the larger the flow of the falls, the higher the costs go for the pump to run it. So that may be something to keep in mind as you come up with your design.

Best of luck with your project, and I hope you will be sure to share your progress here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! You'll find lots of people happy to answer any question you might have!

Let me ask you one question to get started - from where do you plan to view your pond? If you put the waterfall up against the house and under the window, will you have a spot to sit and enjoy it? One of my favorite views of my pond is from inside my house in the middle of winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome! I would suggest searching The Pond Digger videos on You Tube! Lots of great information and tutorials in them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome @Roughinmill
You've found an excellent source for information, full of helpful friendly folks. Your plan sounds lovely!

I think a good starting point, as far as your waterfall is concerned, is to keep researching photos to find what you would really like. Check out the showcases and photos here on the forum, as several members have beautiful set ups. Are you wanting the sound of rushing water to drown out neighborhood noise, or is it just a preference? I ask because the larger the flow of the falls, the higher the costs go for the pump to run it. So that may be something to keep in mind as you come up with your design.

Best of luck with your project, and I hope you will be sure to share your progress here.
Just a preference I live in the country so nature is the major sound. I failed to give my location, i live in North Alabama, I just don't want a wimpy waterfall I want to hear it. I built a small wishing well for my daughter 6 or 7 years ago it's setting close to where i plan the pond, i love the sound of the water falling just wanted to step it up a notch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Take a pic from inside to see what you may be looking at as the way you make it sound the waterfall will not be visible from inside .Skimmer depends on stuff like leaves and things getting in the pond .I have never had a skimmer but have 2 filters and for pumps I chose laguna because of electric savings and also have a laguna aerator .I did mine myself .I use stock tanks for filters so I can put plants in them also and use lava rock in them and keep my water lines from them in my pond and use sump pump hose.Welcome and others will give you great ideas also
Okay I will and I'll make a drawing on graph paper so you can see what I have envisioned in my mind.
I'm working midnight's so it may be a day or so before I can get to all of that but thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF! You'll find lots of people happy to answer any question you might have!

Let me ask you one question to get started - from where do you plan to view your pond? If you put the waterfall up against the house and under the window, will you have a spot to sit and enjoy it? One of my favorite views of my pond is from inside my house in the middle of winter.
I'm afraid I won't be able to see much from the house but I have a deck and I also plan to maybe place a cedar swing in the same space as my pond where I'll be able to sit and listen and look from there my youngest daughter loves to read I thought the swing would be a great place for her to go outside sit enjoy the sounds of the water and read
Welcome to our group!

Take pictures of where you want your pond to be. We can visualize it better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm trying to upload pictures, I'm not very tech savvy. 20180831_093417.jpg 20180831_093455.jpg 20180831_093433.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
one issue you have is your electrical service check with you local building codes they may frown on a pond on top of your service

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
one issue you have is your electrical service check with you local building codes they may frown on a pond on top of your service
The joy of country living, there are no codes where i live, but the total length from deck to concrete is around 28 feet so i do plan to stop well short of the end. The service runs at a 45 degree angle under the concrete toward the right in the pic looking back to the house. Thanks though it is something i need to keep in mind.

Ask a Question