new ponder plants to use

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok I have read and read...now what plants can be submerged underwater, and do I leave the dirt in the pots with gravel on top? or do I just put a plant in a baggie of sorts (gunnysack type) with a heavy rock to keep from floating? I have noticed many photos where the plant is in a large container with what I think is dirt, and how do I know how deep what plant can be in the water?
I have a shallow (what I think is shallow anyway) 18" bottom on in 8x6 preformed liner with shelves on 3 sides. Also what kind of plant would be good to use to hide the darn hose running from my pump that sticks up?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I plant everything in either pea gravel or clay. Everything I have bought/picked up has come bare rooted. I don't put real soil in the pond . My plants are either in walmart cheap oil pans, or left over home depot black pots, the ones that plants come in. Iris, grown nice and tall, will help hide the plumbing, here they stay green all winter, sticking out of the ice. You need to have them low enough the bulb/roots do not freeze. They can be just stuck in the rocks or in a pot.

How deep the plant can be depends on the plant, lilies 12-18 inches, lotus 10 inches or so, taro 10 inches or so, cattails 4-5 inches, etc.

What kind do you want?

Here is a nice link that might help you

http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/Plants/ChoosePl.htm

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I tried the pea gravel but used the oyster shells in my iris pots and boy did they shoot up fast and hardy .I love the plant called strawberries and cream the leaves are variegated and pretty and I am trying zebra grass in mine this year again .I'm afraid mine died out last year .I had the zebra grass for 3 years and for some reason it just died last year .I had corkscrew too but think it did not make it either .I think the winter was just to harsh this year .Even the ones I kept in the basement did not fair well either .My lotus made it

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat idea sissy, get the help from the shells and help the iris, maybe I will throw some in with the clay.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is a yellow iris and was given to me by a friend with some black iris and purple after they flower do they flower again or do they just die back like spring bulbs .These I put in the oyster shells and pea gravel bloomed and the leaves are still bright green .I have them up by the side of my waterfall in a pot and they get there water from the side of the filter box that overflows into the liner and back into the pond .Since you have some addy maybe you know .The black did not flower yet and is only 5 inches tall

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine (water lilies) are in soil w/ gravel on top but I'm gonna try the tie a rock thingy someday whenever I get around to it. All Iris, Water Primrose, Parrots Feather,Creeping Jenny etc. are tucked in between rocks around the top w/ roots submerged in water. Some floaters are just thrown in and left to do their own thing such as duckweed, some Parrots Feather and some of the Primrose just grow all across the water :cool:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The land iris bloom for a few weeks then done, just nice greens shoots. The pond iris, I put in at the end of summer have been green all winter sticking above the ice, but no blooms yet. They bloom once, and send out rhizomes to make new plants. They like room to spread out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's right they do spread out so much that when I put them in between my rocks sometimes they will shove the rock right off the side and down into the pond. No biggy tho, just fish it out and divide the iris :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
sweet I can't wait until I can get some plants in the pond as well as around it! Thanks!

Reaction score
yesterday i got my first water hycanith and im so excited because it has 2 babies stuck to it, though im not sure if i will cut them off or if i will leave them?, what does everyone else do?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Leave them attached, they sit up straighter and seem to get a better start at growing when attached to the parent plant, Plenty of sun light.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I left mine on and they just kept putting out more shoots once there were more than 4 babies then I took off 2 .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wedge my taro root and my differnt grasses under or between rocks and let them be. My lillies were originally planted in dirt then rock on top of it and sunk to the bottom of the pond, however after two years when I repotted them I just put them in a basket with a rock on top and sunk them seems to work just as well.

Ask a Question