water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
3d_effects.gif
to our group, I have a pot that looks similar to that with one small lily and some rosey reds in it. Pretty set up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What a handsome young man! Ponds (even small ones) are great learning tools for kids!

If you're wondering about the roots - you can leave those. Your fish will probably nibble away at them. Although if they are too long (in danger of getting caught up in your pump for example) you can break them off, too. It may even stimulate more growth. You'll find people have mixed results with water hyacinth - I can grow them in my pondless waterfall, but not in my patio pond or big pond. The fish might be the problem. So prepare for disappointment and you might be surprised by success!

Reaction score
Wonderful! He looks so happy and I can tell he's already hooked! :)
Leave the roots, gives protection for the fish and great filtration. As far as cycling with the feeder fish in there, it shouldn't take long to cycle. Clean the filter often and they will be fine. Of course, being an experienced fish keeper, you will know what to put back into the small container after winter has passed, as far as how much they've grown.
Welcome and have fun!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a fun project for your son and he sure looks proud of those great plants of his. I see him graduating each year to bigger and bigger ponding.
The brand new pot pond looks very nice tucked in w/the flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've passed on the well wishes and jokes about the bigger pond. :) in seriousness though, we are going to want one. :D

We have found some small snails that hitchhiked in on the plants. All I know about snails is that they reproduce like mad and can be hard to get rid of. we have pulled out the two we've seen, but in case they are undesirable, are they good or bad to have? this is the best pic my phone could take..

IMG_20140727_202446.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
When I first got my pond going I got a bunch of plants and before I put them in I noticed a few snails. I did a salt water bath to nuke them, but probably didn't leave them in long enough, plus one was potted so maybe snails survived in the pot. Either way, I wound up with a few that I thought would take over.

Coming from an aquarium background myself I was worried since I've seen their populations explode when unchecked, but so far it hasn't really been a problem. As others will tell you the gold fish will probably eat them and keep them from overwhelming your little water garden. Early on I squished a few and tossed them to the fish at feeding time to help develop their palate.

If you did want to get rid of them, luckily your water garden is small enough that you could take out your fish, strain the water and put the plants in a salt water bath to get rid of the snails. Just sponge out your container with salt water before putting the water, fish and plants back in to get rid of any eggs you might not see.

But you could do that at a later date and just see how the little ecosystem balances for now. A good lesson for your son?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
And one thing to remember with feeder goldfish is that they are kept in overcrowded, less than pristine conditions, so it is pretty common to see some mortality. Once you get them over the first week or so they are usually pretty good, but keep an eye out for ich or other issues. I started with 5 and 2 of those died within 48-hours. I later bought 2 more and kept them in a separate container to quarantine them for 2 weeks before adding to the pond. One had noticeable ich within 12 hours and was dead within 24. The other, after treatment, made it and is now in the pond with the other survivors.

I'm sure you'll test ammonia, etc. with your fish background, but I just thought I'd mention this so you and your son don't worry too much if you loose 1 or 2.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now, speaking as an Advancement Chair, don't forget that it's HIS project, HIS research.....

LOL! Just kidding, but we do have parents who do a lot of the merit badge work for their sons -- grrrrrr -- and one scout who just recently made Eagle Scout? Mom is STILL doing it all..... Now, what is that scout learning about leadership, integrity.....don't get me off-topic, here.....

Hope he's having fun and learning! I think that fun & interest are the most important aspects, but can be the most challenging, as well! You seem to be doing a good job in that department! We haven't had an interest in the GARDENING MB in our troop yet, but now that you've brought it up, I might address that as a next year project. I was already thinking of using my "turtle habitat" as an example of a specialty garden, but hadn't thought about "water gardening." Great idea, as your son is showing us! Thanks for the pics. [unfortunately, here in Louisiana, water lettuce & water hyacinth are banned as invasive plants -- but there are many other plants we could suggest....]

Once it's all just the way he wants it, and going strong, be sure to post an update on the little ponds progress, things he learned, etc. And, will it have inspired him/you/your family to go "big-time" and build a pond.....! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Trust me, its his pond, not mine. He's topping it off, acclimating fish, learning nitrogen cycle, etc. Though he knows a bit about that already due to his interest in my reef.

Our troop does too much for the boys IMO, and I'm working on changing that a little at a time.

I agree with you. As his Gardening MB counselor, I want him to genuinely learn, and we will keep this updated. he has to keep it for a minimum of 90 days.

He reads your responses, I merely post on his behalf. He doesn't get unsupervised internet. That's his hand in the snail pic.. he was curious about them.

*thumbs up*

Ask a Question