New Project

Reaction score
Hello, just joined. I had a natural stream and waterfall feature in my Michigan Garden, but want something different now that I have moved to Indiana. I will be putting in a 10' round water feature in the center of a fairly formal garden. I went looking for a forum to get advice on some specific questions.

I hope to accomodate a few koi [a friend has babies that need a home], water lilies, and an overflowing cast iron urn. I will all be level with the ground so a skimmer, a bottom drain through the liner into the skimmer also, and a pressurized bio filter. I have no experience with the pressurized filter, I used a gravity fed filter with waterfall before.

Two most immediate planning questions are:
1) The bio filters for my water volume do not support enough flow to give me the right effect out of the Urn. Do you split the water from the skimmer sending some to the fountain and some to the bio filter? Or do you have to have two pumps?

2) Any examples of how to support a heavy fountain feature at the surface while having a liner, bottom drain and water below it?

And of course the age old moral question: Do I really want to cut a hole in a perfectly good liner for a drain when I could run a pipe inside the liner from the bottom drain?

Great time of year to join the forum. Here's wishing everyone a great season!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1. You can do either. with one pump you would want one big enough do all.
2.Are u talking about a urn that floats. You could put a base on your liner and a column up to the surface but that would block some of the bottom debris from going to your bottom drain.

Ask a Question